• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

neg
      Attached Files

Comment

Now here's the zinc badge compared to mine. They appear to be the same as best I can tell from the pictures.
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

another nagative
            Attached Files

Comment

As I mentioned earlier my badge appears to be made from copper. Copper is an unusual metal to use. You don't really see it used that often in postwar badges. Bronze/brass was a more common metal used on cap badges. However copper was used in the production of number of Third Reich articles. As a manufacturer of badges, Priessler certainly would have had access to the metal. Here is a comparison of colors of other TR produced pieces that appear to be made from copper.

my badge is on top
              Attached Files

Comment

As I was doing research some one mentioned that Priessler stopped using the style pin shown on my badge, after the war. So my research focused on that aspect of the badge. Here are several pictures of Priessler badges made before and during the war. Its very difficult to find Priessler marked pieces and I looked at thousands of pictures of tinnies, member badges and auto pins. I believe the vast majority of Priessler pieces were probably unmarked. Also note that the wartime pieces are marked; J. Priessler, Josef Priessler or just Priessler with the city name. The firm used a number of different style pins with a variety of finishes. Here are some pictures. If there wasn't a clear shot of the actual markings I used what was provided in the description.
                Attached Files

Comment

b
                  Attached Files

Comment

c
                    Attached Files

Comment

d
                      Attached Files

Comment

I couldn't find an example of the exact pin style used on a Priessler badge. However heres a comparison with a similar pin on a TR badge, made by a different firm.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here a few postwar Priessler pieces. Unfortunately no back side shots were available. So I couldn't confirm what style pins they used postwar. However every postwar item I ran across was described as being marked J. Priessler or Priessler G.M.B.H. Never just Priessler.
                          Attached Files

Comment

So where are we? I'll address the 3 questions I posed earlier. One thing I'm certain of is that the badge was made by the Priessler firm. The question is when.
                            a. Is it original wartime. I can't answer that with full certainty. However the materials, construction and hardware are consistent with other wartime badges. The fact that the pins marked Priessler, favors the badge being of wartime construction. However if a forum member could provide evidence that Priessler used this style pin, marked in the same manner, postwar; then that would destroy this argument.
                            b. Is it a vet association badge. I have no evidence to support that it is. I've been told that the vet association pins were half the size and either silver or gold plated. I have no picture, nor have I personally seen the vet badge. If any forum members have pictures of the vet association badge or can confirm my badge is a vet piece that info would be appreciated.
                            c. Is it a copy made for reenactors or to fool collectors? Looking through the web for a 26 Panzer division unit came up blank. Again I ask for any assistance from the membership. Is it made up to fool collectors? Generally copies are made using a textbook piece as the source for making a mold. This wasn't done in this case. However there are copies of the 116th Panzer cap badge that are made completely from scratch. In other words, someone made a new mold. The 116th copies also use metals that mirrored the wartime pieces, as well as materials that were never used. However all the copies of the 116th badge either tried to replicate the original "textbook" pin system or omitted it. It would have been easier (and probably cheaper) for the fakers to replicate the textbook pin system. Also stamping it with Priessler, who is still in business (not done on textbook badges), doesn't make sense. Even if the fakers had Priessler make the badge why not leave it unstamped to avoid leaving a trail. The true test will be the response from the members. If its a copy made to fool collectors there should be a lot of folks who have seen them. The fake 116th cap badges which came out in the last 5 years? are everywhere. The same should hold true with this badge(if fake).
                            The last thought is, why would the 26th Panzer Division have so many styles of badge ? First we're only talking two styles, the textbook badge or the Priessler badge. The textbook badge is rather crude and unattractive. Maybe the commander wanted a more attractive badge for his unit. Why not go to a firm like Priessler who had decades of experience making small badges. If the textbook badges were indeed being made by the unit workshop, it's possible they couldn't meet the requirement. I'm certain the workshop commander had more important priorities then making 20,000 cap badges. Or maybe it was simple that the local contractor was liberated by the allies as they advanced up the boot of Italy. Using a German firm would guarantee the supply of badges.
                            Well that’s my take on the subject. Any comments or assistance is certainly welcome. The truth is what's important. WR Jim
                            Last edited by djpool; 09-11-2007, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottPritchett
                              Jim:
                              Thanks for invigorating the thread...and with a very fine start by providing some in depth analysis.

Since I asked the original question, cannot contribute any knowledge....hope others will discuss.
                              Scott,

Thanks. I hope others will contribute. Heres just a few thoughts that are indirectly related to the topic. Judging from the documents awarding the cap badge I believe they came out sometime in 43/44 after the unit was deployed to Italy. The 26 PD fought on the Italian Front from JULY 43 to the end of the war. One of the things that amazed me was the number of unit cap badges worn by units fighting in Italy as compared to other fronts. I have capbadges from 4 different Divisions not including the 26 PD one. Also the 44 ID sometimes worn their SB device as a capbadge. Plus I know of several other Italian Front divisions that wore capbadges. How many capbadges are out there for units fighting in France by comparison?The 116th PD is the only one that pops to mind.

It appears that capbadges were specially prized by units in the Italian theater. Here is a pic of mine. Compared to the 26PD badges these are works of art. Ample reason that the unit commander might want a better badge (IMHO). Also note that the 5th GJ had two versions produced. All appear to be factory done.

wr Jim
                              Attached Files

Comment

Heres the cap badge for the I FJ Korp. This pin was manufactured in Italy as confirmed by the issue packets.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X