AlsacDirect

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe Officer's Fliegerbluse (Leutnant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garth's Comments ...

I appreciated Garth's comments on the Bulgarian badge -- he has seen it in person.

The badge is quite original. What Mike did not mention was that it came with a photo of the guy wearing the actual badge. The source was impeccable. As Mike said, the badge is vaulted and the highest quality -- one I was proud to have in my collection.

Enjoy this photo of this badge in actual wear ...

Mike
    Attached Files

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Mike at al,

Regarding the photo... While the photo proves it could be so, how could a non-pilot flak guy get the Bulgarian pilot badge??

Rich
      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

Bulgarians

Richard,

I guess we will never know ...

I have seen a document for this badge (in George Petersen's collection) that was both in Bulgarian and German language -- for a badge presented to a Luftwaffe man. The Germans called it an "Adler" badge. On another website, this badge is referred to as a "first pattern" pilot's badge -- used before the other Bulgarian military pilot badge we are familiar with. Yet the document was dated during the war. So it's all speculation.

Another Luftwaffe veteran -- who is acquainted with a friend of mine -- mentioned that he had also received a Bulgarian pilot's badge and they were handing them out like popcorn at an airfield at which they had landed in Bulgaria.

So it is hard to know the reason why a Luftwaffe man is wearing a Bulgarian pilot's wings but is not wearing a Luftwaffe aircrew qualification badge of any sort. We can speculate endlessly, but perhaps he did some flights with them or served there.

We will never know for sure - but I have always found this badge and this photo fascinating and am glad it is in good hands.

Mike

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Hello, Mike.

The Bulgarian badge did not go with the fliegerbluse. I have now secured it to my Oberleutnant flak 4-pocket tunic in keeping with the photograph you provided.
          Richard may also like to have a look at page 36, Uniforms & Traditions of the Luftwaffe, vol 2. Pictured is an Oberst of a high-grade career wearing the badge in question. The fellow is in fact a Luftwaffe judge, later Generalrichter Dr. Kurt Winkhaus. He was awarded the German Cross in Silver on 20 April 1945. He died in Hamm, Westfalen, 6 Feb 1970.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Is everybody seing it as a qualification pilot badge?
            Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

Its hard to tell from a black and white picture but do that guys tabs look red? The question might be "What is he doing wearing a flak badge"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Swan

...I have now secured it to my Oberleutnant flak 4-pocket tunic in keeping with the photograph you provided...
                Most of the time you see tunics being restored by replacing missing badges...but you have restored the badge by replacing the missing tunic.

Paul

Comment

Paul,
                  I'm going to pay you a great compliment......you have an Aussie sense of humour!!!!
                  And John,
                  I agree with you regarding the accurate interpretation of likely colours from black/white photos. I have seen red reproduce this way, it all depends on the type of film used at the time and lighting. In this case, the tone of the tabs compares fairly well with the known red segment on his EK ribbon.
                  Just my humble opinion of course.
                  Regards,

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X