Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Help

Hello all,
    I am seeking help on a certain item. I have found this panzer wrapper and crash helmet at a local antique store. The owner does not know much about military items; as I am just expanding my collection. Please let me know what pictures I need to authenticate, as well as what it is worth.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Standard_Sean; 08-07-2005, 02:33 PM.

Sean,

Make sure you take clear precise pictures of the breat eagle, collar tabs, shoulder boards, the hook and eye reinforcements on the collar, and pictures of the liner. On the beret, take a picture of the insignia (eagle and cockade) and the liner.

Valuation providing if original and what pattern and award loops etc on wrapper: $5000+

Comment

Here is another photo of what you are asking for: Top pic is beret, Bottom is breast eagle

- Sean

Originally posted by Tom Mumby
      Sean,

Make sure you take clear precise pictures of the breat eagle, collar tabs, shoulder boards, the hook and eye reinforcements on the collar, and pictures of the liner. On the beret, take a picture of the insignia (eagle and cockade) and the liner.

Valuation providing if original and what pattern and award loops etc on wrapper: $5000+
      Attached Files

Comment

Additional Shots

Here are some more pictures
        Attached Files

Comment

Could you post a picture of the liner of the wrap? and a picture of the top of the Panzer beret?

Comment

Yes, will do.
            Attached Files

Comment

Interior Loop
              Attached Files

Comment

Interior of crash helmet. I don't have any pics of the top though!
                Attached Files

Comment

Sewn-on Shoulder Board(s), Reg. 19
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Standard_Sean; 08-07-2005, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Sewing under collar
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am sorry I do not have any direct pictures of the liner. Hope these pictures are good enough!

Comment

Panzer beret looks like it will be an original with more study...cannot tell if insignia was added later. But maker label and oil skin lining looks good. Rubber grommet looks good and the weave on the beret itself looks circular/original. Insignia looks ok at a glance too.

Wrap may be original second model...not enough detail to tell. However, it looks to me like it may have been messed with: probably repro collar tabs (piping around the tabs does not show as original in the picture - weave pattern and the light pink combination not so good) and if that label is in the inside lining (the glimpse of the lining looks favorable), it seem out of place (ie, post-war added/faked) on what looks like an original period issue lining (in general, I'd expect to see such a label on a private purchased uniform).

Also...I would be cautious of an antique dealer who really did not know what he has in this. If it were all real and untouched, there is probably $8-$9,000 + here. If true that he does not know, someone had to provide it to him and the odds of two people not knowing would seem even more remote...but still possible.

If you cannot get pictures, describe it more after a second look...I think a few people will chime in with some other points you could inspect.
                        CSP

sigpic

Comment

Thanks very much, but what are some of your opinions on the breast eagle and that shoulder board?

Comment

Panzer Uniform and Beret Comments

Sean

I agree with Scott 100% Everything you've shown of the beret seems OK. A Clemans Wagner is a nice, desireable shell. Other indicators seem good as well.

I'm leery of the tunic. Jacket could be good, but the collar tabs seem to stick out like a sore thumb. What I saw of the shoulder boards did not impress me either. I echo Scott's comments onthe tailor label: An issue lining with a tailor label?

Assuming the beret is good, a dealer could ask between $3.5 and 5k USD for it; the jacket would be in the $5k-$6k range USD.

If everything were unquestionbable, then I could possibly buy the story that the dealer did not know the value of these things, since it presumably came from a vet or a vet's estate. Since it looks like there may be a few "creative" things going on, somebody is probably snowing someone somewhere.

My two cent's worth.

Regards,

Bob Edwards
                            aka "Panzer Bob"

Comment

I echo those concerns mentioned above. The collar tabs look totally out of place on the wrap. The next time you see it, make sure to some more pictures of the liner and clearer shots of the overall tunic if possible to give a more detailed opinion. One thing I would suggest is look at the back of the collar where the tabs are stiched in, for a ghost of another tab being there before.

From little I have seen of berets, this one looks period.

I think with the beret being period, the overall tunic looks period from the little pictures

The breast eagle looks period, the shoulder boards also look period although the photography has distorted the waffenarbe.

Depends how much the price is and if you are comfortable

Cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X