Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1936 S/42 Luger with two matching clips help please

Hello,

I purchased this 1936 chamber dated S/42 Luger with two matching clips. I got it in hand yesterday and I'm not convinced that the clips have the original stamped numbers. They appear to be re-stamped. I'd appreciate all opinions on this. Help Please!!

A.jpg B.jpg D (2).jpg E (2).jpg F (2).jpg

A few more pics of the second clip.

G (2).jpg H (2).jpg I (2).jpg

Comment

I also look very suspect too me. The metal finish texture looks wrong and new, mint on a gun with some carry wear on the finish and grips. The number font and how stamped do not look convincing either but the suffix and WaA stamp look pretty good to me. I know that many are bumped and the work has steadily gotten better

Comment

I am suspicious as well. To me it looks like the whole bottom surface has been been reworked/ scrubbed/ ground and all the markings added. It's too clean: both the surface and the numbers, etc. Just my opinion.

Here is mine, which is matched to a '36 Luger.

I will be with a friend attending an auction this weekend, who describes Lugers for a large auction house, so I will see what he thinks.
        Attached Files
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

These mags have almost certainly been scrubbed and re-stamped with very high quality stamps.

Comment

Base of magazine where stamping applied polished bright, remainder of base oxidized.

Comment

Here's a picture of a magazine in the same block in the same year.

IMG_0568.JPG

Comment

I have seen the magazine bases done both ways, based on how the aluminum was cast they would have to clean up some bases before stamping. They look like they may have been polished at some point, likely when the white inlay was added to the stamp marks. The font is correct and I do not see any issue with the stamping.

Comment

Those bases are surely ground off. The finish and brightness is different than on the other areas and you can see tiny parallel lines left by the grinding tool. 63 proof seems to look different when compared to other unaltered magazines posted here. I would pass on that Luger. Those area of the magazines where numbers are applied are the most exposed areas which are first to wear. Lack of any dents and random scratches is very suspicious to me comparing overall condition of the whole pistol.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by dhunter93 View Post
                      I have seen the magazine bases done both ways, based on how the aluminum was cast they would have to clean up some bases before stamping. They look like they may have been polished at some point, likely when the white inlay was added to the stamp marks. The font is correct and I do not see any issue with the stamping.
                      I agree with the points stated by Jack above. In addition to those points the recent photo of an unquestionable original 1936 m block mag (and pistol) show a different script used in the letter m than those on the OP mags. The number fonts are close be not the the same, look at the 2 and 4 particularly, they are not original dies. This clearly means that the x and E63 is also a fake stamp so someone has quite a set up to bump mags/Lugers. The good news is that these are pretty easy to detect and the OP also saw this red flag.

Comment

I don't agree with your opinion, they had multiable stamp sets and castings. take a look here - https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...amp-variations

Matching magazines add little to any value to a S/42 luger with that much finish wear.
                        Last edited by dhunter93; 08-23-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

This magazine is only 7 numbers off. Compare the shape of the "m". 36 m831+ (Medium).jpg

Comment

Originally posted by dhunter93 View Post
                            I don't agree with your opinion, they had multiable stamp sets and castings. take a look here - https://luger.gunboards.com/showthre...amp-variations

Matching magazines add little to any value to a S/42 luger with that much finish wear.
                            Yes, they had multiple sets of numbers, but same or few sets were used on a particular pistol and you should find multiple location there same dies were used. Without diving into it, thread opening pistol's magazines show other, described earlier indications of the hump up job.
                            Also price of the Luger with both matching mags is usually almost double of the one with only one matching mag, especially for pre war examples.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by cossack1648 View Post

Yes, they had multiple sets of numbers, but same or few sets were used on a particular pistol and you should find multiple location there same dies were used. Without diving into it, thread opening pistol's magazines show other, described earlier indications of the hump up job.
                              Also price of the Luger with both matching mags is usually almost double of the one with only one matching mag, especially for pre war examples.

Jack
                              Really, can you post an example of an 85% (generously) S/42 that sold with two mags for two time the cost of a 85% s/42 with one mag.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X