No announcement yet.

Luger Side Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a side note, what should the reverse of the correct sideplate be stamped? 8.JPG
    WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

It would be the first two numbers plus one. So #33

Comment

Wow, thanks a lot. Not to sound stupid (I'm trying to avoid doing so) but it should just be the number 33, and not 33 with the #?
        WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Simply 33

to be exact not all Mauser sideplates had the “incremented number” inside or exactly in that relation to the first two digits. There are many exceptions and some just not done at all. Like so many other points in collecting this has, for some, become very misunderstood. Similar for instance is the FACT that most late G Date and most all 1936 production did NOT number inside of grip plates. I’d like to have a dollar for every time I’ve read descriptions of those Luger say grips are replaced because grips are not numbered. No telling how many now have been numbered and on and on it goes!
          No Luger made prior to 1932 left the factory with a numbered toggle pin. If I’ve seen one I’ve seen 100 Imperial era Lugers claimed to have replaced toggle pins because there is no number.

Comment

Thanks Phil, so if I lucked into a 59 stamped sideplate with 33 on the reverse, it would be a 'correct' replacement?
            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Yes indeed. Keep in mind that there were probably less than 70 total ever made with that combination out of 2 million or more Luger sideplates! If you consider that you really need a salt blued sideplate, you are probably looking at 40-50 ever made. I think you should be more than happy if you can find any Mauser plate with the correct outside number. I think the MM plate on your gun is a DWM plate based on the number font

Comment

Believe me I'm fine with the pistol just the way it is. But if I put out feelers that I'm looking for a particular side plate and Cletus in East Wahoo, Arkansas says he's got what I'm looking for, I'll be pretty goldang happy!
                WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

That’s great news and I hope that it works out well. If it is a Mauser plate and finish and condition match at least as well as the MM player on it now, you will be miles ahead in improving the Luger

Comment

The vet's son says he may have the original sideplate, as he remembers seeing a bunch of 'loose parts' that he couldn't identify at the time. Fingers are crossed. . .
                    WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Whether he has the sideplate or not (hopefully he does of course) you should try to get all of the parts, particularly if they are military and of course serviceable.

Comment

I’m sorry that I mis-read Post #22 and I thought had actually located a candidate plate but see you were expressing the off chance event. Hopefully the vets son will have the actual plate for the gun

Comment

I plan on getting all the parts and bits he has. May take a while though but I am patient
                          WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X