No announcement yet.

1916 Kar 98a, need help restoring stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, nice job in putting it back together into as-issued condition. Just wondering about the economics of this. From personal experience, I know that there are way more "sporterized" Kar 98a's on the market than there are spare original stocks, handguards and hardware. From having purchased some of these parts over the years, in my experience such parts can be very pricey. So, IMO, someone would just about have to give you the "sporterized" rifle at no charge, and you would then need to get pretty lucky in finding original parts, in order to be able to put one of these back together into original (albeit, mis-matched) condition. I'm curious as to what others have experienced in similar situations.

Comment

Alan,
      I would say that if you can start out with an original stock, barrel and action that it's something that should be restored. It's a great thing that we now have a source for handguards. In my limited experience if it is not Police marked or Weimar marked, it should get priority for restoration, although they should all be candidates for restoration. If you cannot afford the parts, it would be best to sell to those who have the resources to complete the project.

Comment

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Alan,
        The rifle cost me $200 at the yard sale and the stock was about the same on eBay. The handguard was $155. All in all I think worthwhile to get the rifle back together. And it isn’t Weimar or Polizei marked, I think this may have been a WWI souvenir

Comment

Yes - I agree: a very worthwhile project and it sounds like you got into it “right” on the sporterized rifle, so you had room to accommodate the costs of restoration. Plus, I think you had some nice luck on your side in finding the parts (and the prices of same). I looked for years for the screw that holds the upper band in place; I finally obtained the screw via purchasing the entire band + screw unit (costing me $100).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X