1916 Kar 98a, need help restoring stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1916 Kar 98a, need help restoring stock

I have a matching Kar 98a with a non matching stock that is missing the two wood pieces that cover the top of the barrel. I'll try to upload photos of my actual rifle later today, but I've attached the photo below to highlight which pieces I'm missing.

Does anyone have advice on where I could get these pieces reproduced? Of course I'd prefer to find original parts, but I doubt I could find such specific pieces. Would it be easier to find a complete stock and replace the one I have? Weapons aren't my specialty, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Inked375_LI.jpg

Fox-Military.com

Comment

Thanks swjXE! Here’s the rifle in question, but I’m pretty sure fox military should work fine.

F580BDD5-1220-41B0-8CEE-F9FB506BE54F.jpeg

Comment

Just wanted to add a post script to this thread, Leszek at fox-military actually had an original k98a handguard in his inventory and it arrived in the mail today. After a little cleaning and sanding I was able to fit it nicely. The color is slightly off so I may re-stain it (the current stain is recent), if anyone has suggestions on how best to get the colors to match let me know.

thanks again to swjXE as well as Leszek Foks

59FB78B1-FD76-4493-9A5E-9319AC9F91D7.jpeg

Comment

Last edited by sfk20; 08-18-2020, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Last edited by sfk20; 08-18-2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Looks like the forum is being glitchy, didn’t mean to post three times...

Comment

Looks nice - thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by sfk20 View Post
                  Looks like the forum is being glitchy, didn’t mean to post three times...
                  Please realize that even on originals the color doesn't always match perfectly, I've even seen original walnut stocks with beech handguards and vice versa.
                  Honestly, sometimes a little bit of color contrast is desirable to collectors.
                  I applaud you for taking the time and expense to restore this fine rifle!

Comment

Originally posted by swjXE View Post

Please realize that even on originals the color doesn't always match perfectly, I've even seen original walnut stocks with beech handguards and vice versa.
                    Honestly, sometimes a little bit of color contrast is desirable to collectors.
                    I applaud you for taking the time and expense to restore this fine rifle!
                    Good to know, I wasn't determined to re-stain it so with that info I'll leave it as is. Glad you like the way it turned out. I found this rifle at a Pennsylvania yard sale way back in 2009. It had been sporterized sometime before the 1950's and it took me about a year to find the stock. But that handguard has been eluding me until this summer!

Comment

nice to see a happy end ,looks great now .congrats by the way can you post reciver photo ,couriose abaut the maker of this one -thanks

Comment

Originally posted by HAF View Post
                        by the way can you post reciver photo ,couriose abaut the maker of this one -thanks
                        No problem

C3BDA25B-6970-4FD9-BC50-D9509F7C6692.jpeg

Comment

Ah, beautiful! The original rust bluing.

Comment

Originally posted by sfk20 View Post
                            thank you super rifle you has here

Comment

You did a good job restoring it! I picked up a 1915 Erfurt last week that I’m thinking about doing the same with.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X