Who likes suppressors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who likes suppressors?

With shows and shooting matches cancelled, I am going to spend more time working/ playing in the yard. So, thought it was time to pull out some .22 suppressors. Here is a SilencerCo "Micro Osprey" on a German-made "GSG" .22LR M1911, and a SilencerCo "Sparrow" on a Walther-made HK416 in .22LR.

Was testing various .22LR bullets for functioning: CCI standard velocity (1080 fps), CCI Quiet round (710 fps), and the new CCI Semi-Auto Quiet round (830 fps).
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Looks like a lot of fun, Willi! Especially great, as something to do through all the boredom. I will admit, I'm not so versed on the lagalities associated with owning a suppressor . . . is that something anyone can buy right of the shelf, without any additional consideration?

Comment

I actually use high velocity although with the .22, not that bad. The .45 and some of the others makes a difference but you sacrifice quite a bit depending on what your application is. I used a Surefire K can for a while on my SBR, that was fairly quiet but thats the thing, you got a .223 so whats the point of subsonic.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by J. Wraith; 03-21-2020, 01:05 PM. Reason: Photo too Big

Comment

They are addictive.
        Attached Files
        Lookin for Reichsbahn Items and Luger mag E/63 5662W

Comment

I suffer from the NFA addiction. Nice to see I'm not alone.

Am kinda married to the SilencerCo brand as I like QD mounts so went the ASR route on centerfire stuff, though I do own an older AAC Pilot 2.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by J.1.M.B.R; 03-21-2020, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
            Looks like a lot of fun, Willi! Especially great, as something to do through all the boredom. I will admit, I'm not so versed on the lagalities associated with owning a suppressor . . . is that something anyone can buy right of the shelf, without any additional consideration?
            Unfortunately no. Lots of legalese, but will do my best to help.

The 1934 National Firearms Act changed all of that.

Items regulated by that act are taxed.

$200 for Machineguns, Suppressors, Short Barreled Rifles - Less than 16" for a rifled barrel (SBRs), Short barreled Shotguns - Less than 18" for smoothbores (SBS), and Destructive Devices - Over .50 Caliber and not considered a "Sporting Caliber".

$5 for AOWs (Any Other Weapons). Penguns, Cane Guns, Smoothbores that were never a shotgun (not manufactured with a stock) and under an overall length. The the 12 gauge below is an AOW. 7" barrel. My only way to own a stubby 12 ga in Washington as we can't have SBSs. Was never a "shotgun" legally. And too short overall for "firearm" designation.

Basically two ways to acquire if you aren't an SOT (Special Occupation Tax) dealer/license holder.

Form 1 and Form 4. I picture of a 10/22 I put together with a sample of an approved Form 1. And an actual "Stamp" for $200 I posted below.

Also three ways to own. Individual, Trust (mine), Corporation

Once the Form is submitted along with the check for the tax you will wait. A long time. Six months to a year PLUS..... You can only possess/manufacture after you have your approved Form. Back ground check. Finger Prints/Photo on Forms. If you aren't a prohibited person - anything on a 4493 that would disqualify you would for owning NFA items. Not something for the impatient to buy.

Form 1. You pay the tax to "manufacture". Suppressors, DDs, Suppressors, SBRs, AOWs. Can't "manufacture" your own Machine Gun after 1986 unless you are an SOT and those are even more controlled on who can have/possess. "Transferable" Machine Guns would be pre-86 guns already registered and done on Form 4s. You don't want to do a thing as far as assembling or having certain components in the same place UNTIL you have that approved Form 1

Form 4. Transferred to you from an individual or SOT in your state.

Then we get to the issue of what State you reside in and what NFA items they allow.

I hope I helped. It's a lot to take in. So many rules and regulations federally and state wise.

It is fun! My only regret is that I didn't get into the NFA game sooner. The "Transferable" MGs are like rare Third Reich stuff... only getting more and more expensive.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by J.1.M.B.R; 03-21-2020, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Great stuff!

Yes, SilencerCo is my favorite too. I had a baffle strike last November with an Omega and a ASR mount on my HK91, and they replaced all the inner components as well as the end cap.

Here is my Osprey 45 I use on .45 1911s, 9mms (VP9, P-230), and my Sig MPX-K.
              Attached Files
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I use my Omega with an ASR on a 5.56 Noveske, this HK91, and the Sako TRG22 I shoot in sniper matches.

The HK91 needed a new bolt locking piece (from a 45-degree one to a 36-degree one) so that it slows down the unlocking time.
                Attached Files
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by J. Wraith View Post
                  I actually use high velocity although with the .22, not that bad. The .45 and some of the others makes a difference but you sacrifice quite a bit depending on what your application is. I used a Surefire K can for a while on my SBR, that was fairly quiet but thats the thing, you got a .223 so whats the point of subsonic.
                  I like the P-22, but I went with a PPQ because of the larger grip.

I enjoy the subtle "clack" of the bolt/slide coming home firing sub-sonic .22 ammo, as compared to that super sonic "crack" with HV rounds.
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Great stuff Willi! Thanks for sharing.

I had a strike too. My son sent an Omega 30 halfway down the range. Didn't lock down the ASR mount...

Their customer service is excellent. And I really like their product.

Recently got their Switchback. Lots of fun!

Currently waiting/pending Form 4 on my second Omega K. First was a 9K. This one is a 45K.

Have one of their Hybird 46, 2x Omega 30s, 1x Osprey 45K, 2x Sparrows, 1x Switchback, 1x Omega 9k. It's a trust...hence doubles on some of the cans as my Dad and I share similar tastes.

Comment

Same with me; didn't fully lock the ASR and the can tumbled about 25 yards down range. Was rather surprised by the back blast!

I used to use the direct thread way, but it made it tough to swap around. Was about to buy an Omega 9k, but now I saw the Omega 36 video and want one of them.
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by William Hull View Post
                        They are addictive.
                        Direct thread mounting on the M1A?
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                          Same with me; didn't fully lock the ASR and the can tumbled about 25 yards down range. Was rather surprised by the back blast!

I used to use the direct thread way, but it made it tough to swap around. Was about to buy an Omega 9k, but now I saw the Omega 36 video and want one of them.
                          I saw the 36 too. May have to go with one of those next.

Here's my "Lights Out" host for the 9K. Form1 9mm SBR I cobbled together. Waiting on one of the ASR mounts they are making for them.

IR laser w/ the PVS14 is a nice combo with this set up. Pretty quiet with subs.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Direct thread mounting on the M1A?
                            Willi,

No, YHM 3302-M14-SA-QD mount
                            Lookin for Reichsbahn Items and Luger mag E/63 5662W

Comment

I use my Omega with an ASR on a 5.56 Noveske, this HK91, and the Sako TRG22 I shoot in sniper matches.

The HK91 needed a new bolt locking piece (from a 45-degree one to a 36-degree one) so that it slows down the unlocking time.
                              How's that HK group at 100 yards?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X