• Show
Clear All

Help on my first dagger!

Hello,

This could be my fist dagger.
    I hope the pictures are good enough.

Thank You,

Ricardo - BRAZIL
    Last edited by ricky1972; 03-30-2005, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Last edited by ricky1972; 03-30-2005, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Last edited by ricky1972; 03-30-2005, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Very nice original Merten SA with a rare "S" Gau marking. A great dagger to have as a starter piece.

Comment

Ricky,

Looks like a nice SA. My first dagger was a C&R Linder SA.

All the best,

Comment

Tell You What Ricky, If You Don't Want It In Your Collection I Do! Looks Like A Nice Early Sa Dagger In Very Nice Shape. Jump On It! Regards,chris

Comment

Hello Ricardo ,

a good genuine merten in good shape.The lower scabbard-fitting is a new part and not period , additional missing the left and right screw.

Comment

Hello everybody!

Thanks for your quick replies!
                  I was worried about the lower scabbard-fitting, but I think the dagger is good enough to keep it
                  Maybe I can get a discount with the dealer

Thanks again,

Ricky

Comment

Hi Ricky,
                    I feel pretty good about the dagger from the pictures, but the lower fitting is not only missing the screws but there are no holes for them either. If I rememer correctly A few years ago Tom Johnson was selling un-used lower fittings picked up in a Solingen factory. They were authentic just never fit to a scabbard.

Everything else looks right for a Merten, and I would still buy that piece if you can get a good price.
                    Last edited by Eric Hall; 03-07-2005, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hall
                      Hi Ricky,
                      I feel pretty good about the dagger from the pictures, but the lower fitting is not only missing the screws but there are no holes for them either. If I rememer correctly A few years ago Tom Johnson was selling un-used lower fittings picked up in a Solingen factory. They were authentic just never fit to a scabbard.

Everything else looks right for a Merten, and I would still buy that piece if you can get a good price.
                      Hi Eric!

Thanks for the reply! Great story about the fitting. I´m glad to know that!
                      I´ll keep the dagger for sure!
                      Kind regards,
                      Ricky

Comment

I would like to see the scabbard throat - crossguard fit on this. The whole scabbard could be a replacement. Looks like paint not anodizing on the scabbard as well, another reason to check.
                        Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

the handle is dented, the sa pin looks damaged, the scabbard looks MINT, thats not a match. I think the scabbard is a rework or simply another scabbard from a rzm dagger.
                          I would say rework if the leather is original to the scabbard since it look very dry and used. All based on that this is a painted scabbard.

Comment

Thanks Colorado and schönbeck for your replies!

I´ll post more photos as soon as I can get them.
                            After all the posts my opinion is: A good dagger and a RZM scabbard with a replacement fitting. But...It´s my first one. Watch me...

Thanks everyone for the great help!!

Ricardo

Comment

I love the dagger, but that scabbard gives me the creeps. Unless it's really reasonably priced, I'd pass.

Sorry,
                              Skip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X