Ss

Hallmark
            Attached Files

Comment

Ss

Wooten
              Attached Files

Comment

Certainly a curiosity. The scabbard is bothersome to me. It looks to be nickel based which is not known for a type I chain. May be wrong there but suggest you try the magnet test.
                As far as the dagger itself I'm not seeing anything that says it's a fake.
                Given the depth of the etch and the age to the blade, I do not think this was reground and retched. Were it a normally seen maker no one would ever question it.
                Just because the maker is unknown does not mean it's fake but hey we're all learning here.
                www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

I feel like the chain and scabbard are definately post war.

The dagger itself is intriguing but after looking at more pictures, very closely, I believe the dagger is not authentic. Jmo.

Comment

How are the thickness in Profile of the blade ?

Comment

Looks like an SS unmarked M36 blade with a fake added trademark. The depth of the TM etching appears too deep for the rest of the etching on the blade IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
                        Looks like an SS unmarked M36 blade with a fake added trademark.
                        yup I have the same feeling

Comment

Looks like an SS unmarked M36 blade with a fake added trademark. The depth of the TM etching appears too deep for the rest of the etching on the blade IMO.
                          I believe the chain and scabbard are ground up fakes.

I also received better pictures of the blade, and the maker mark is "too" deeply etched, especially compared to the motto.

BUT, from the pics the etch doesn't match what i would think of as tradition m36 blade etch?

Comment

So the story deepens....I just learned that Johnson sold this dagger, in a different, correct chained scabbard. Johnson described as one of a kind and Wittmann purportedly also has seen and approved of the piece (in its original configuration with teh "good" scabbard)....

Now it is in this scabbard.......

Comment

No problem doing any acid etch maker mark. Especially over a area where one never existed. All the cross grain would match.

I can hear it now- ' A SS man ordered a dagger from Seilheimer. Seilheimer not having one ordered it from another company, it came in and they placed their logo on it and handed to the SS man.'

Of course, anything is possible in this hobby.
                              But that is one I sure would want to see 'In-Hand', especially that funny looking chain.

>>So the story deepens....I just learned that Johnson sold this dagger, in a different, correct chained scabbard. Johnson described as one of a kind and Wittmann purportedly also has seen and approved of the piece (in its original configuration with teh "good" scabbard)....

Now it is in this scabbard.......<<

So now we know it already a 'parts piece'.

Comment

I agree with Ron here. The depths of the etch front and back are noticably different as are the 'edges' of the logo compared to the motto. The texture of the steel in the etch also differs suggesting a different time and method of etching used between front and back.

Just my opinion of what I see in the pics.

Tony
                                An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X