No announcement yet.

Himmler SS Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last question about this Himmler Dagger for my buddy. He wanted to know if he should he try to clean it with something like renaissance wax? I told him about it since I use it on my guns and it works great to clean and preserve instead of oil.

Thanks,
    Bob

Comment

Renwax won't hurt anything at all. I use it on all my blades and fittings.

John

Comment

Renwax won't really clean-more preserve and clean a bit. If you want to remove from, oil etx, which will cause long term damage-I reccomend semi-chrome. Lightly used applied and rubbed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Baron View Post
          Renwax won't really clean-more preserve and clean a bit. If you want to remove from, oil etx, which will cause long term damage-I reccomend semi-chrome. Lightly used applied and rubbed.
          Bad advice without a doubt.

Comment

Simichrome is the best agent in the right hands. It does clean, but if not used by someone with experience it will cut and damage the surface and remove cross grain so, unless you are familiar with the use, DON'T DO IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
              Simichrome is the best agent in the right hands. It does clean, but if not used by someone with experience it will cut and damage the surface and remove cross grain so, unless you are familiar with the use, DON'T DO IT.
              That goes for brain surgery also.

Comment

Yes I like semi-chrome a lot. Especially for vet buys where the blade has been oiled etc.

You are correct Ron, have to be careful, don't want to turn the blade to chrome, but just using a small amount, and lightly wiping down areas is exteremely effective at removing oils and grime etc. Just have to be careful

Comment

Don't clean it !! It's lovely the way it is.

Comment

Exactly right. Ren Wax is made to protect and preserve while Simichrome is a very mild cleaing polish used properly will give Excellent results !

Comment

Yes I like semi-chrome a lot. Especially for vet buys where the blade has been oiled etc.

You are correct Ron, have to be careful, don't want to turn the blade to chrome, but just using a small amount, and lightly wiping down areas is exteremely effective at removing oils and grime etc. Just have to be careful
                      If you're dealing with an oily or greasy blade the best product to use to remove it IMO is acetone. It's an excellent degreaser and not at all abrasive.
                      Ron W. is right concerning Simichrome as a Little goes a Long way and heavy handedness will quickly cause damage.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sunday View Post
                        Exactly right. Ren Wax is made to protect and preserve while Simichrome is a very mild cleaing polish used properly will give Excellent results !
                        I use both and just in this way. Just very small amounts of semichrome and very carefully. Then renwax to protect.

By the way, good to see you at the Max, Ed.

Billy

Comment

Originally posted by james m View Post
                          If you're dealing with an oily or greasy blade the best product to use to remove it IMO is acetone. It's an excellent degreaser and not at all abrasive.
                          Ron W. is right concerning Simichrome as a Little goes a Long way and heavy handedness will quickly cause damage.
                          Jim
                          If All that you are dealing with is oil and/or grease then acetone is a solvent that will do the job without altering the blade's original polish. Whereas Simichrome is a metal polish with a fairly large percentage of finely divided aluminum oxide crystals - that are harder than steel, and quite capable of removing the original factory polish, polishing etched areas etc. FP

Comment

Aluminium oxide harder then steel???
                            I don't think so
                            I use t cut which is a paint work restorer ,again aluminium oxide in suspension, on dirty edged weapons be they japanese a swords or German daggers with no I'll affect

Comment

I believe the oxide they use in semi chrome ,autosolve in the uk ,or cut it a 4 moh
                              Steel is a 7 or 8???

Comment

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
                                If All that you are dealing with is oil and/or grease then acetone is a solvent that will do the job without altering the blade's original polish. Whereas Simichrome is a metal polish with a fairly large percentage of finely divided aluminum oxide crystals - that are harder than steel, and quite capable of removing the original factory polish, polishing etched areas etc. FP
                                Acetone is harsh IMO and I rarely use it. I prepfer Super VM+P simply known as Naptha. A PERFECT oil , wax, and grease remover harmless to most finishes.............been using it for over 40 years. I once used it on a vintage Rolls Royce to remove fresh road tar from the lower rocker panels and the owner was delightfully surprised at my results !!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X