German Honor Sward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Honor Sward

I have a German Sword, brass, leather and steel, that I have been told is an honor sword from either a military school or unit. The sword has engraving of the date and name of the award i.e. 1t comp, Gustav Schul, 1876. the earliest engraved date that I can find is 19 Oct 1865 and one of the names is Gottf. Keselring. The dates go into the late 1930's. There is a portion of the sword that has the names and dates filed off. Been told these were people killed in the pusch.

I acquired this sword in a small town near Halle, Germany around 5 - 10 May 1945. Any information would be appreciated.

I have a picture of the sword but don't know how to get it posted (I'M NEW TO THE SITE) Joe Peterburs
    Last edited by Joe Peterburs; 12-05-2004, 02:16 PM.

I can post pics for you.

Send them to my email address at wjabour@bellsouth.net , and I'll be glad to post them here. Sounds like a great piece of history!

William

Comment

This is the picture Joe sent

I collect swords and daggers and can't recall every seeing anything like this.

The following was written by Joe when he sent the picture:

"The names ,dates and Comp are engraved on all the brass you see i.e. the handle, the hilt, the top binding on the scabbard as well as the tip of the scabbard. There are about 60 entries (Comp#, date, name) are on the sword.

The blade is steel, engraved on one side clear on the other except for a 1 1/2" by 3/4" engraving of the German eagle grasping a swastika in it's claws. 2/3rds the way down the engraved side is a crossed musket and sword and what appears to be 2 powder horns. About a third of the way down there is an oval with a sword and other weapons around it. The non-descript rest of the engraving is like curlicue branches.'

I feel sure I speak for the rest of the members when I say it would be very nice to see the sword blade and a close up of the engraving if possible.

A very nice and rare acquisition, Joe!

William
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure but the hilt and crossguard look like that of a Jäger hirschfänger. Sans engraving, these pieces in and of themselves are rare enough.

Comment

I saw a hunting piece at the Kassel show a few weeks ago that had a similar pommel. Do you have clearer photos of the hilt?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Gottlieb
            I saw a hunting piece at the Kassel show a few weeks ago that had a similar pommel. Do you have clearer photos of the hilt?
            I hope to be able to get some additional pictures taken this weekend. Will try to get them posted then.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X