No announcement yet.

Help needed in identifying an unusual German/Axis dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'm a little confused.. These pictures are from Tom Johnson's Website and this item is actively for sale for $4,500.00 .
    I guess what you are saying is you do not agree with the description of this item or what is the issue ? It may not be Spanish. It may be something harder to find.
    Last edited by damasco; 09-15-2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by luftwaffenkopf View Post
      how about Chile?
      Why Chile?

Comment

Originally posted by cogwheel View Post
        During the 1960s and 1970s Eickhorn and Hoerster produced daggers for Latin American countries. I don't have the export catalogs for that time but the dagger styles were based on Luftwaffe and Navy designs of WWII Germany. These LW style daggers were worn by Air Force cadets of Paraguay, Uruguay, Bolivia, Columbia, Venezuela etc. They all carried their respective Coat of Arms.
        You see, most Latin and Central American countries (with the exception of Brasil) became independent from Spain in the early 19th Century. Since then and up to these days none of them didn't really have any "royalties". Especially, in the 20th Century. Dictatorships - yes, but not monarchies. Therefore, I am having hard time imagining a "royal" insignia (crown) being placed on a "republican" dagger. No way. No matter how much that little country cherished their colonial Spanish-related past.

Also a DOUBLE-HEADED eagle doesn't make much sense for the Latin America either. In that part of the world they prefer to use condors in their heraldry. A single-headed ones. At least I do not know of any Latin or Central American country that used a double-headed bird as its symbol. Do you know of such country?

Comment

Originally posted by damasco View Post
          I guess I'm a little confused.. These pictures are from Tom Johnson's Website and this item is actively for sale for $4,500.00 .
          I guess what you are saying is you do not agree with the description of this item or what is the issue ?
          Well, I guess I do disagree with the description. Because I do not see, how a combination of a crown and a “stripped” (without any royal insignia) double-headed eagle could be explained as Spanish. In fact, here are a few pictures of a Spanish Air Force dagger from the pre-Franko era:

http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/m...ory_Code=11OMS

Take a look at the crowns on the pommel and the cross-guard. They are somewhat different from the one on the dagger in question. And, while there have been double-headed eagles in the Spanish past ( “Habsburg” and “Holy Roman Empire” types), they were no longer used in the 20th Century. Even in a “stripped” version. Russia and Austria did that. Not Spain.

Also after Franko came into power the design of the Spanish Air Force dagger has changed. Take a look at the links below and, again, note the crown:

http://www.rathbonemuseum.com/SPAIN/...PLtParade.html
          http://www.wwiidaggers.com/27594.htm
          http://www.worlddaggers.com/engine/i...Filter=Gallery

During Franko’s era the crown’s “look” charged from the “royal” to the “duke” one. And it stayed that way until 70-ties. Then the “royal” crown has returned. But neither one ever looked like the crown on the dagger in question. So, I am having difficulty imagining how it could possibly be Spanish.

Originally posted by damasco View Post
          It may not be Spanish. It may be something harder to find.
          Or it might be a fantasy or a put-together. Given the hefty price tag it would be nice to know what exactly it is. I mean, at this moment I do not see, how a combination of a “stripped” double-headed eagle and a crown could possibly be explained.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X