X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed in identifying an unusual German/Axis dagger

Does anybody know to which country this dagger belongs:

http://forum.axishistory.com/downloa...2273&mode=view

It's made by Alcoso in a typical German style and quality. So this is clearly not some sort of hand-made fantasy piece. Judging by the style of manufacture, I'd date it sometime between 1930-ties and 1940-ties. Since it was made by a German company I assume that it must have been a German dagger or from one of the axis countries. But it could also be from one of those "Latin American contracts", which German dagger makers were actively doing after WWII.

This dagger has three distinct pieces of heraldry, which might help to identify its origin: the double-headed eagle, the winged female figure (Nike-?) and a crown. The eagle is the easiest one. The following countries have (or had) it on their coat of arms:

Albania
    Armenia
    Austria (1934–1938)
    Austria-Hungary
    Byzantine Empire
    German Confederation
    Holy Roman Empire
    Kingdom of Mercia (527–918)
    Montenegro
    Kingdom of Mysore
    Russian Empire
    Russian Federation
    Seljuk Empire
    Serbia
    Serbian Empire
    Kingdom of Serbia
    Spanish Empire (during the Habsburg dynasty)
    Kingdom of Yugoslavia

It also appears on other coats of arms and flags, including the flag of the Greek Orthodox Church, the arms and flag of the Hellenic Army General Staff and the Hellenic Army XVI Infantry Division, a number of cities in Germany, Netherlands and Serbia, the arms and flag of the city of Toledo, Spain, and the arms of the town of Velletri, Italy.

However, given that the double-headed eagle does not have crowns, the time frame and some other factors the list becomes VERY narrow:

Albania
    Austria (1934–1938)
    German Confederation (some sort of jubilee)
    Greece
    Montenegro
    Serbia/Yugoslavia
    Spain
    some city

To me the eagle looks closest to the one of the German Confederation or the Reichsflotte of the mid-19th Century. As for the other two pieces of insignia (winged female figure and crown) - I have no idea. Does anybody know what they could mean in connection with the double-headed eagle? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kingdom of Yugoslavia / Serbia had completely different types of daggers.
    You can remove Yugoslavia from the list.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/albumi

Comment

The dagger could have been a gift for a visiting dignitary.

Comment

Originally posted by Schlange View Post
        Kingdom of Yugoslavia / Serbia had completely different types of daggers.
        You can remove Yugoslavia from the list.
        This dagger doesn't look like ANY of the daggers from ANY of the countries on the list. This is definitely a prototype. The question is, from which country? In my opinion, the key is the winged female figure. If someone could remember which country has this as its heraldic symbol, that would solve the puzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy G View Post
          The dagger could have been a gift for a visiting dignitary.
          A gift from which country? Even if we assume post-1945 Germany (no svastika, eagle), it still does not explain, why the eagle is double-headed and why there is a crown on the cross-guard.

Comment

Since the item was made within Germany, I presume it was a German gift to the dignitary or diplomat of another country, not the other way around. Presumably someone affiliated with a royal family.

Comment

Looks like that's a Spanish air force dagger IMO.

Comment

Spain Air Force dagger have different crossguard, mostly with the Spanish coat of arms.
                Mainly for accurate dating, it would be desirable to see the type Alcoso Solingen marker.

Schlange

Comment

Originally posted by GREAKLY View Post
                  This dagger doesn't look like ANY of the daggers from ANY of the countries on the list. This is definitely a prototype. The question is, from which country? In my opinion, the key is the winged female figure. If someone could remember which country has this as its heraldic symbol, that would solve the puzzle.
                  'The winged female figure' is the Winged Goddess of Victory aka Goddess Nike. In Greek mythology. It is a well-known interpretation, she holds a palm frond in her right hand.

Comment

The doubble eagle must be not the exact heraldic crest of the country. The crown looks like typical for some kingdoms one of it is Romania.
                    Postwar Austria and Albania has both other form of eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by Schlange View Post
                      Spain Air Force dagger have different crossguard, mostly with the Spanish coat of arms.
                      Here it is:

http://forum.axishistory.com/downloa...2274&mode=view

Comment

This mark is used by Alcoso Solingen in period between 1936 -1937/8.
                        (Assuming that these dagger is original from these period.)

Schlange

Comment

Sorry, I dont have any idea, but it is a very nice looking piece! Kevin.

Comment

During the 1960s and 1970s Eickhorn and Hoerster produced daggers for Latin American countries. I don't have the export catalogs for that time but the dagger styles were based on Luftwaffe and Navy designs of WWII Germany. These LW style daggers were worn by Air Force cadets of Paraguay, Uruguay, Bolivia, Columbia, Venezuela etc. They all carried their respective Coat of Arms. Some of those are shown in Kurt Glemser's books 'A Guide to Military Dress Daggers' volumes I to VI. One thing is for certain, the dagger in question was made AFTER WWII and, most likely, in Germany for export.

Comment

how about Chile?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X