Naval daggers, Carl Eickhorn and Paul Weyersberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wittmann

Sergie ... you obviously have not been in this hobby long enough to know what Wittmann has done for it or his huge knowledge! Let’s just get a few things straight on Tom Wittmann.

Tom’s first list in January 1986 was an A4 photocopied list. He had other employment so daggers in his early days were a hobby to him. Tom started the list due to the theft issues he had experienced firsthand travelling his countries show circuit. It was his first list that gave TW any form of international recognition.
    This list grew from something extremely basic to what became the “bible” of all serious collectors out there. The “Offering” was something eagerly waited for by all dagger collectors! One of the main reasons was the depth of knowledge Tom starting imparting in his lists. Tom was an extremely giving guy when it came to this. He was far more than a person who was “just a dealer.” His knowledge was freely available to all! His replies to letters would be 3 or 4 pages long and his enthusiasm for and his thirst for knowledge in the hobby was immense! I myself felt quite bad about this at times as I had not spent much at all with Tom but with Tom this did not seem to matter.
    As with anything Tom got involved with it was for the love of blades; the Wittmann videos; the MAX Show; and more latterly his textbooks. Tom had an extremely great ability at memorising difference between makers and such information was shared by him in the “Offerings.” This was built up of course by handling large numbers of daggers, many directly from veterans.
    This led to the books. He had co-authored chapters for Tom Johnson in his series. For instance the volume 5 chapter on SS daggers became the benchmark on this subject! The first book was with Tom Johnson in 1988 on Imperial blades. Then he took it to another level in 1995 with the Army dagger book, his first book in his own series.
    Anyone who has not been involved in book production may not realise the huge risk involved in these undertakings! This hobby of dagger collecting is but a minnow in the publishing world. Dagger books are never going to make it onto any best sellers list! Huge risks are taken by the authors with what can only be regarded as their love for the hobby. Wittmann has done his very best to provide top quality extremely well researched information. To state anything otherwise in my opinion is ball less! His books are now without doubt the benchmark in this hobby.
    His latest SA book has been severely slowed in large part once again by Wittmann’s generosity! He has been helping another well known identity in this hobby with a series of books to help this come to fruition.
    Then of course I could go on about the “Wittmann” experienced on visits to his home. I remember a special visit to his place in 2002 where his friendship was matched only by his extreme generosity.
    I am sure all the seasoned collectors out there know the person I am talking about ... not a person who is “just a dealer”

Comment

Right on Monty!
      I could not agree more, Sergie go away.

Comment

Originally posted by monty View Post
        Sergie ... you obviously have not been in this hobby long enough to know what Wittmann has done for it or his huge knowledge! Let’s just get a few things straight on Tom Wittmann.

Tom’s first list in January 1986 was an A4 photocopied list. He had other employment so daggers in his early days were a hobby to him. Tom started the list due to the theft issues he had experienced firsthand travelling his countries show circuit. It was his first list that gave TW any form of international recognition.
        This list grew from something extremely basic to what became the “bible” of all serious collectors out there. The “Offering” was something eagerly waited for by all dagger collectors! One of the main reasons was the depth of knowledge Tom starting imparting in his lists. Tom was an extremely giving guy when it came to this. He was far more than a person who was “just a dealer.” His knowledge was freely available to all! His replies to letters would be 3 or 4 pages long and his enthusiasm for and his thirst for knowledge in the hobby was immense! I myself felt quite bad about this at times as I had not spent much at all with Tom but with Tom this did not seem to matter.
        As with anything Tom got involved with it was for the love of blades; the Wittmann videos; the MAX Show; and more latterly his textbooks. Tom had an extremely great ability at memorising difference between makers and such information was shared by him in the “Offerings.” This was built up of course by handling large numbers of daggers, many directly from veterans.
        This led to the books. He had co-authored chapters for Tom Johnson in his series. For instance the volume 5 chapter on SS daggers became the benchmark on this subject! The first book was with Tom Johnson in 1988 on Imperial blades. Then he took it to another level in 1995 with the Army dagger book, his first book in his own series.
        Anyone who has not been involved in book production may not realise the huge risk involved in these undertakings! This hobby of dagger collecting is but a minnow in the publishing world. Dagger books are never going to make it onto any best sellers list! Huge risks are taken by the authors with what can only be regarded as their love for the hobby. Wittmann has done his very best to provide top quality extremely well researched information. To state anything otherwise in my opinion is ball less! His books are now without doubt the benchmark in this hobby.
        His latest SA book has been severely slowed in large part once again by Wittmann’s generosity! He has been helping another well known identity in this hobby with a series of books to help this come to fruition.
        Then of course I could go on about the “Wittmann” experienced on visits to his home. I remember a special visit to his place in 2002 where his friendship was matched only by his extreme generosity.
        I am sure all the seasoned collectors out there know the person I am talking about ... not a person who is “just a dealer”
        Right On can't be summed up any better than that !!

Comment

This thread has been quite the adventure.

On my Eickhorn dagger, is there anything I can/should do so that the rust does not get worse on the blade. I realize that cleaning is not typically a good thing to do but I just want to try my best to preserve it so it does not get much worse during my ownership of it (which will more than likely be the duration of my life).

Comment

The rust is not developing because older rust - but because of moisture.
            (Pure chemical process.)
            If you want to prevent the formation of rust - you must find a better accommodation for dagger.
            If the moisture is not important for you, the rust will reappear again and again, no matter how many times you clean the dagger.
            (And with every cleaning, your dagger lose the value and authenticity.)

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/albumi

Comment

If you coat the blade and the fittings using Renwax, that should help protect against the moisture in the air.

John

Comment

Yes, I go out from here as quickly as I can!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X