Opinions needed on Bayonet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed on Bayonet.

I have seen this bayonet and would welcome opinions on it. It is marked WKC, which to me indicates WWII vintage, but it looks in very good condition for that age, and so I wonder if this firm continued manufacturing post war, and this is an example of one of these. I would be grateful for opinions and attach some pictures.
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Attached Files

Some more pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry double posted one pic.
      Attached Files

Comment

Another pic to show the number and K mark on the blade.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a very nice bayonet to me. There should be a date on the thin side of the blade almost against the guard.

Comment

Condition too good for this age? Why not? There is enough 70+years old minty edged weapons shown in this forum, daggers looking like they've been made yesterday, so why not the bayonet? Are there any Waffenamt stamps?

Comment

Thanks Maarten and 777. I know very little about bayonets, but I take your point about minty items 777. I do not think that there are any other marks or dates on it, but I will try and find out and post them if there are any. What are Waffenant Stamps ? Is this an ordinary infantry bayonet and have you any idea of value?
              The number on the bayonet matches that on the scabbard if the light in the photographs makes this difficult to see.
              Thanks,
              Peter.

Comment

Peter,

You have a very nice combat bayonet. The condition is not not out of line with it's age. Certainly used but not abused. Shows it's age and participation in the history of the times quite nicely. It's a keeper IMO.

All the best,

Tony
                An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Nice WKC marked bayonet, probably a 38/39 on blade spine for year.

Comment

It looks like a very decent military issue service bayonet, and but for the slight battering on the pommel, and lightly aged Bakelite grips I would have said untouched. That said, it looks to me more like a German armory rework which is not at all uncommon with the earlier bayonets. And is the “norm” for many of the earliest ones as they saw the most use. So I would expect to see the date on the back of blade next to the crossguard with a two digit date like “39”’ “40” etc. It should also have most likely something like some WaA253/stick eagle (the Waffenamts) on the pommel and the ball of scabbard, bayonet catch button etc. (And some more pictures should most likely help in making a better determination of a rework vs. an OEM bayonet, but that is my sense of it so far). FP

Comment

Thanks Tony, Andy and FP. I have contacted the vendors to ask for more information and pics and will keep you informed.
                      Thanks,
                      Peter.

Comment

I have some more pics on this bayonet. Also I am told that ther is an undecipherable number followed by a 9 on the thick side of the blade, not the thin side. There is a date marked on the scabbard and some numbers and letters in other places, which I assume are the Waffenampt marks referred to by 777.
                        I attach some pics and welcome comments,
                        Peter.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Apic of the underside - thin side - of the blade to show no date here. I have not got a pic of the upper - thick - side of the blade where there is probably a difficult to decipher 39 marked.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Some more Waffenampt ? markings.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, those are the waffenampt's. Nice early war bayo! These with matching numbers like yours trade for over $175 easy. Good luck! Kevin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X