Very nice Police Bayo - complete with scabbard, frog & portepee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USA_Kev View Post
    Can you let me know / show some additional information how the bayo with the Weimar-marking would look like and where it would be?

Where do I see that the bayo was shortenend - and - was that a common thing which happened to the bayos?

Actually, how old is this bayo then?
    Kev,

This bayonet was originally issued to the Prussian police in 1929. When issued, it had a 16" blade, longer grip, a clamshell and a grip medallion with the Weimar eagle and police star. Most police units such as the Schupo of the Düsseldorf district stamped property markings on the blank reverse edge of the crossguard and the reverse of the upper scabbard fitting.

After the Nazi takeover and issue of national police uniform regulations in 1936, these bayonets were modified and made standard for all German police. The modifications consisted of shortening the blade to 13", shortening the grip, shortening the scabbard, removing the clamshell and replacing the Weimar grip medallion with a Nazi one. This work was done by a large number of facilities and was not entirely uniform. It appears that, in many cases, bayonets and scabbards were separated for modification and not reunited. It's not clear whether your bayonet originally was marked the same as the scabbard since the Weimar marking has been ground off. However, in some cases the new pairing were stamped with an inventory number such as yours. You can be confident that they served together during the WWII years.

If you are serious about building a collection of German bayonets, I suggest reading a good reference book such as George Wheeler's Seitengewehr: History of the German Bayonet 1919-1945. If you are interested in the police markings on bayonets, my book History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936 should be of interest.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by donmaus View Post
      Kev,

This bayonet was originally issued to the Prussian police in 1929. When issued, it had a 16" blade, longer grip, a clamshell and a grip medallion with the Weimar eagle and police star. Most police units such as the Schupo of the Düsseldorf district stamped property markings on the blank reverse edge of the crossguard and the reverse of the upper scabbard fitting.

After the Nazi takeover and issue of national police uniform regulations in 1936, these bayonets were modified and made standard for all German police. The modifications consisted of shortening the blade to 13", shortening the grip, shortening the scabbard, removing the clamshell and replacing the Weimar grip medallion with a Nazi one. This work was done by a large number of facilities and was not entirely uniform. It appears that, in many cases, bayonets and scabbards were separated for modification and not reunited. It's not clear whether your bayonet originally was marked the same as the scabbard since the Weimar marking has been ground off. However, in some cases the new pairing were stamped with an inventory number such as yours. You can be confident that they served together during the WWII years.

If you are serious about building a collection of German bayonets, I suggest reading a good reference book such as George Wheeler's Seitengewehr: History of the German Bayonet 1919-1945. If you are interested in the police markings on bayonets, my book History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936 should be of interest.

Don
      Don,

that is unbelievable much of information - I really thank you for that!

I took a closer look at the described area and you can clearly see the signs of the grinding that was done ... wow.

Thanks again ... there is obviously so much I still have to learn about this beauty!

Kev

Comment

Here is an outstanding example of a bayonet and scabbard that managed to stay together through the modification process: http://www.craiggottlieb.com/engine/...tching+Numbers.

Comment

Just a question, since this does not have a slot or a lock button, is it technically a bayonette?

Comment

That's a question of semantics IMHO. A dagger is generally thought to have a double sided blade & bayonets generally a single edged blade which is how I base my thoughts on it. If your definition of a bayonet it something thaty affixes to a rifle then no, it would not be a bayonet but within the nomenclature of the hobby it's referred to as a police bayonet whether slotted or not. I suppose a proper term would be sidearm.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy G View Post
              That's a question of semantics IMHO. A dagger is generally thought to have a double sided blade & bayonets generally a single edged blade which is how I base my thoughts on it. If your definition of a bayonet it something thaty affixes to a rifle then no, it would not be a bayonet but within the nomenclature of the hobby it's referred to as a police bayonet whether slotted or not. I suppose a proper term would be sidearm.
              Thanks - makes totally sense.

As of right now, I will still call this beauty "bayo" ...

Kev

Comment

Nice ,complete ,bayonet !!

Comment

hi folks, also this rig will need to leave me as I need to raise money for different investments.

During the thread it was already said that this set is very nice and complete, so I wonder what should be a realistic value I can ask for this set ... ?!

Thanks for your support guys!

Comment

I would try to get out of it what you paid seven months ago.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X