Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice Police Bayo - complete with scabbard, frog & portepee

Hi,

this is the next item of my - hopefully - growing collection.

It's a complete police bayo with a very very nice portepee, a near mint blade (only one very small dent, see pixx), frog and scabbard.

The manufacturer is Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie - Solingen.

The scabbard and the bayo are marked with matching numbers: 159.

The backside of the scabbard shows also the unit - at least I guess - where this bayo belonged to: S.D.VI. 381

I think it is in a very nice condition, but please let me know your comments on this!

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited by USA_Kev; 03-23-2011, 11:27 PM. Reason: note

police bayonet marks

hi kevin, nice! the marks read, schutzpolizei duesseldorf,
    district 6 & weapon issue number, all the best,brenig.

Comment

NICE Polizei Bayo with a great unmessed with look! Great pictures too! THANKS, Kevin

Comment

Kevin, a real nice Police bayo,

Comment

Originally posted by lampstation View Post
          hi kevin, nice! the marks read, schutzpolizei duesseldorf,
          district 6 & weapon issue number, all the best,brenig.
          Brenig,

Thanks a lot for this information - I was really looking for this to understand what these marks mean.

@ Mac 66 & heers68:

Thanks for your comments - it's nice to see that you like the look of this bayo!

Kevin

Comment

I was searching for a price like mad but then i actually started reading your post and saw you just obtained this beautiful specimen.

Whenever you consider selling this Bajonett, do not hesitate to contact me!

Comment

Hello

Very nice bayonet and great photos !!!
              Regards
              Alain

Comment

What is a rig like this worth?
                WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Does anyone have a realistic value of the bayonet as presented?
                  WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                    Does anyone have a realistic value of the bayonet as presented?

I would also be interested in the boards opinion to this ...

Are these prices here realistic?

http://www.johnsonreferencebooks.com...ICE/index.html

Thanks.

Comment

Kevin,

In a word, no, those prices are not realistic. First, remove any bayonet that is either gilted or has a clamshell as they are scarce/rare & will always run high(er). Tom Johnson is a well established dealer who's been in business 30+ years. He can ask these prices & in many cases will get them. Dealers routinely seek 20%-30% higher than what collectors would get between each other, some dealers even look higher. Bear in mind this is JMHO.

Police bayonets have risen steadily in the last 7-10 years, much to the chagrin of those that collect them. But here on the estand & on Eban they seem to have taken a dip in the last few years. Don't know if it's the economy or just people looking for other things but I've seen very nice looking full rigs here going $550-$650 in recent months. Yours is a very nice bayonet, the only detraction I see is that the bayonet crossguard has had the issue numbers redacted which makes it less desirable to some but not a big hit in value since the condition is really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy G View Post
                        Kevin,

In a word, no, those prices are not realistic. First, remove any bayonet that is either gilted or has a clamshell as they are scarce/rare & will always run high(er). Tom Johnson is a well established dealer who's been in business 30+ years. He can ask these prices & in many cases will get them. Dealers routinely seek 20%-30% higher than what collectors would get between each other, some dealers even look higher. Bear in mind this is JMHO.

Police bayonets have risen steadily in the last 7-10 years, much to the chagrin of those that collect them. But here on the estand & on Eban they seem to have taken a dip in the last few years. Don't know if it's the economy or just people looking for other things but I've seen very nice looking full rigs here going $550-$650 in recent months. Yours is a very nice bayonet, the only detraction I see is that the bayonet crossguard has had the issue numbers redacted which makes it less desirable to some but not a big hit in value since the condition is really nice.

Billy is, as usual, right on target.

-wagner-

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
                          Billy is, as usual, right on target.

-wagner-
                          Thanks a lot for this explantion & the information!

Comment

The Weimar-era marking S.D.VI means it was from the Schupo command stationed in Oberhausen, in the Düsseldorf administrative district. A very nice bayonet. The matching numbers indicate the bayonet and scabbard were paired after they were shortened in the early Nazi years. It is not certain that they were matched previously since it appears that the Weimar-era marking was ground off the crossguard.

Comment

Originally posted by donmaus View Post
                              The Weimar-era marking S.D.VI means it was from the Schupo command stationed in Oberhausen, in the Düsseldorf administrative district. A very nice bayonet. The matching numbers indicate the bayonet and scabbard were paired after they were shortened in the early Nazi years. It is not certain that they were matched previously since it appears that the Weimar-era marking was ground off the crossguard.
                              Thanks a lot for all the detailed information!

Can you let me know / show some additional information how the bayo with the Weimar-marking would look like and where it would be?

Where do I see that the bayo was shortenend - and - was that a common thing which happened to the bayos?

Actually, how old is this bayo then?

Questions over questions ... thanks in advance for informing me!

Kev

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X