No announcement yet.

NSKK HUNLEIN Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a "Silver Proof" by WURTTEMBERGISCHE METALWARENFABRIK - Circa 1900 that has kindly been provided courtesy of Jim M.

Comment

As far as silver is concerned, .800 is relatively hard. If you look at antique pocket watches that have .800 silver cases the detail is usually still sharp after all those years of going in and out of the pocket. Fine Silver is really .900 and up. Many higher decorations use .800 to .900 silver. As for the chains on the Gahr piece .800 would be perfect to work with and still be hard enough to resist bending and excesive wear thru.

Comment

Adding to Ed's comments regarding .800 proof silver used on edged weapons during the 3rd Reich it is a fact.
        .800 was used on the highest presentation pieces of extraordinary workmanship.
        To give the reader an example of what type of edged weapon would have components made of .800 silver would be SS Honor "Birthday" Degens, and special SS chained Honor daggers.
        The series of photos are what a "textbook" .800 proof silver should look like.
        Taken from Tom Johnson's Pictorial Series.

-wagner-

Last edited by Serge M.; 10-08-2009, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

ok but that ss chain is a heck of a lot stronger in design and construction than the nskk that has small , thin circular rings between the larger links , with the ss being large flat links that wont wear the fittings .

if they did use 800 silver on chains then ok i accept it , never been able to own one myself or handle one , but would have thought theyd have `customed ` the nskk small rings into something more substantial like the ss one shown (after all they were `customised sort of daggers `)
              and those assay marks on the ss shown definately look stamped after production , not cast during production .
              Last edited by mustang; 10-08-2009, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Comment

thanks for posting these wags , proves my points , " stamped with the ss proof marking , 800 silver , and the silver hallmarks " ....stamped not cast , also points out the details "workmanship to the closing seams of the connector devices that join the links "
                  a heck of a lot better than the nskk connector devices between the links that themselves have been shown on gdc to be smaller than normal . and the pic shows just how much more `chunkier` the ss chain connectors than the nskk .
                  only one opinion here , i`m only a collector , dont know any of the members personally , have nothing to gain or loose , just stating my opinion , i think the gdc subject has turned into a personnal battle over their between supporters of those for and against ....im just standing back looking at hard facts .
                  can i just add that a chained dagger , hung from suspension clip , from belt , is going to take a heck of a lot more beating than a pocket watch , medal , award , table ware etc etc . ,
                  just look at how many daggers are damaged with nickle silver fittings with only about 35% silver content .
                  imagine those connection links on a silver chain around somebodys neck and just how little it would take to break if you were inclined to grab it .....not that im saying do such .
                  can ayone tell me please ...asking purely out of interest , if these connecting devices on the ss silver chained shown here , and the nskk silver chained that the main subject is about , have the connecting device `joints` ..ie where the small rings meet themselves , are silver soldered together for extra strength or just `matched up` and not soldered ....i think i can see which have and havent but theyre only pics on websites

Comment

Mustang,
                    These .800 produced show pieces were IMO only to be worn rarily if ever.

Even on early SS Mod.1936 chained SS daggers with the early thin link chain connectors used to split apart at the scabbard when the dagger would "twist"
                    in wear. Many of these early SS chained daggers will show period repairs to
                    the "Achilles Heel" of the SS chained dagger, until they came up with a thicker
                    link connector and finally the Type 1 in steel.
                    German Nickle Steel has no actual silver but is a combination of Nickle, Copper and sometimes Zinc.

-wagner-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X