No announcement yet.

3 Fighting Knives and 1 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here´re the dimension´s of an example of an Böker, shown in the book: "Deutsche Kampfmesser" from Eugen von Halasz
    (Militaire-Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, D-22851 Norderstedt)

IMHO, if you´re collecting German fighting-knive´s it´s a really good decision, to purchase this title !

lenght overall: 257mm
    blade-lenght: 146mm
    broad of the blade: 22mm
    thickness of the blade: 4mm

Cheers,

R.

Comment

Al

It isn't just the condition - as Bernard Levine (Levines Guide & Blade Forums) is fond of saying "condition is only a sign of condition".

I would like to make the following points:-

The wood used in the grips looks to be of much higher quality than WW1 period knives I own or have seen in reference books.

The shape of the pommel seems to be more rounded than known WW1 examples.

The crossguard looks to be much thicker than known WW1 examples.

The areas between the grooves on the grips seem too wide compared to known WW1 examples.

Finally, the condition.

These knives were mass produced in wartime and were used in the front line. They were never high quality items (such as an officer's sword) and, until the last say 25-30 years have not been that sought after by collectors.

I suspect many were picked up as souveniers during wartime and then stored away until they eventually appeared on the collectors market.

The complete absence of corrosion on the metalwork and of staining on the woodwork is unusual compared to known WW1 examples.

The bottom line for me is that it just doesn't look right (ie old) and therefore if it isn't old it must be new.

I hope the points I have made make some sense - apologies if they are gibberish but it is the middle of the night here and I should be asleep !

Regards

Richie

Comment

Richie,

Thanks for going into deeper detail! I agree that there is a lot that does not line up with what one would expect. It's quite possible this is a remake but the last piece of information I need to have a complete and plausible picture is when the heck was it made then... If those remakes we are referring to were made to commemorate their 90th birthday they are only four years old. This knife is definitely older. Now if it's twenty years older or more... that I don't know. Please don't get me wrong, this knife is too insignificant to fight over its WW1 status or the lack thereof, just would like to find out;-)

Best,
        Al

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
          Richie,

just would like to find out
          Al

Have you thought about contacting Boker - they should know (I hope !)

Regards

Richie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X