No announcement yet.

A Few Examples I Really Like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Heers" a nice example of a scarcer Clemen and Jung pattern. This one rates mint from stem to stern. Factory gilting still top notch, blade incredibly bright, grip, knot and hanger, all excellent. A nice example bought from a collector who dug it out from a vet.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SwordFish; 09-19-2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

This C&J is another example of a saber with mixed hilt embellishment techniques. Note the cast langets, and the hand worked backstrap/pommel, etc.
      Attached Files

Comment

A relatively common WKC saber. Though common, I still enjoy the lines on this patricular pattern. I believe this was an eBay or gunbroker score. Gilting is very nice, but would benefit from a homemade sudsy amonia bath.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's a nice unmarked Pumawerk panther head example. Aluminum hilted example, aluminum grip wire, retaining all of it's gilting. The scabbard throat is marked and this is the longest Heer saber I have ever come accross. The owner must have been a very tall individual. This pattern is somewhat scarce and not the easiest example to find. I believe this one belonged to one of our members about 10 years ago.
          Attached Files

Comment

This image illustrates the reverse of the hilt.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's a Prinz Eugen I picked up on a whim from a vets family on the net. A condition of the sale was that I buy both of the mans bringhomes. Included were a mid Weimar period Alcoso with the double cast fanned oak leaf and acorns langet.

You'll not that this PE has lost most of its gold color. The zinc composite hilts did not retain their gilting all that well. They also were subject to the zinc pest, which this one has a slight case of. Through a battery of techniques, I was able to remove most of the zinc bug, and subsequently performed preservation technique including the use of museum grade wax. Eventually, i'll need to upgrade this one. Until then, my PE will have to suffice. Although the PE rates amoungst my favorite patterns, this example is not amoungst my favorite pieces I own, mostly due to the lack of gilt. The angular lines of the PE serve to make a very attractive, unique piece produced by the Eickhorn firm.
              Attached Files

Comment

The Clemen and Jung looks to have very nice hand emebllishment and i love it when they have all the gilt remaining.
                The Puma is a very good looking sword, thanks for showing these. It's a shame that the PE has lost most of the colour but it's still nice

Due to the SS connection the Prinz Eugen seems to be a lot more expensive
                for younger collectors like myself to get. I have just seen one in a UK militaria magazine for £900 but it did look mint

Happy collecting

Luke

Comment

Luke,
                  I agree. Alot of folks..particualrly some dealers try to capitalize off the PE SS connection. I don't believe it. I've had a number of discussions with other collectors on the topic, and we just don't think it adds up. Of course, people like the draw the connection due to the PE SS division, and I believe there is 1 perod photo of an SS man wearing a PE saber. Also, some dealer claims to have direct vet purchased an example with an SS knot attached....who's to say the liberating GI just didn't trade to get that knot and figured he'd put it on the liberated PE saber to make it look nice??

I would encourage people to simply think of the PE saber as just another Army officer saber in the Eickhorn FM series.

*** The 3 strand officer knot is original to this piece. I added it later for aesthetic effect.

Comment

Exactly, its wrong in my opinion that dealers put a premiun on these Prinz Eugens just because of that connection.
                    I think the picture of the SS officer with the PE is in the Angolia swords of Hitlers third reich 1969 edition. I am pleased my favourite sword in the series is the Blucher which i have, and i have no intention of completing the whole set. I would rather save the money and use it towards a nice etched sword with a blue panel.

regards
                    Luke
                    Last edited by LMG; 09-19-2009, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Tom,

Good thread, an enjoyable read & an education for us dagger & bayonet guys

Comment

Bill,
                        Thanks my friend. How are you? Havn't wrapped in awhile. I'll hit you a with a PM.

Tom

Comment

Nice Swords

Tom

These are very nice, I love the swords and workmanship like you do. I have a Japanese sword I want you to look at. I will put it up when I get home from toiling at work.
                          Especially like the last one, imperial with lion head.
                          Rich

Comment

Thanks Rich.

On a side note, there is some period footage of Otto Remer inspecting his troops wearing what appears to be a PE dress saber. You can see the footage on the "Hitlers Bodyguard" series, Wolfs Lair segement. I had recorded the entire series on DVD and will try to isolote a frame and post it, if anyone is interested.

The series is excellent and also has some period imagery and footage I had never seen before.

Tom
                            Last edited by SwordFish; 09-21-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwordFish View Post
                              will try to isolote a frame and post it, if anyone is interested.

Tom
                              Please do. Maybe you can add it to my calendar... j/k

That Clemen and Jung example is off the hook

Comment

I was chatting with the gentleman who actually did produce those nice calendars back in the '80s. He's going to have some at the MAX for those of you who choose to attend. So be sure to grab one. They are collectible in their own right.

P- the Clemen and Jung is super nice. One of the finest conditioned, and complete sabers I have. A not-so-common example, heavy brass hilt construction, and screaming with her original gilt. It definitely ranks amoungst my favorites. It came from a peer who has a nack for vet finds.

I'll see if I can get the frame of Remer during the inspection in the next few days. As and FYI, if you havn't seen the series "Hitlers Bodyguard", you should definitely check it. Honestly, it's one of my favorites (even though SS stuff is not my bag), and not only covers the SS, but many aspects of the various attempts on his life, as well as the various protection agencies. I believe it was originally put out by the BBC, but is now rebroadcast on the Military Channel. 14 or 15 episodes, each one I had to record on DVD. Check it out if you havn't seen it. I guarantee everyone will like it. It's really good.

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X