A Few Examples I Really Like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Few Examples I Really Like

Since we've been on Heer sabers today, I thought i'd share 2 examples which rate amoungst my favorite. I have more than a few different examples to choose from, and my tastes do periodically change. However, still with changing taste within the subgenre of Heer saber collecting, these 2 rank steadfast amoungst my favorites.

The first is a Pumawerk example, which elequently mixes both cast as well hand worked hilt embellishment. You'll not the langets are cast, while the backstrap/pommel, P-guard, etc. were hand done. The deep chizel work I find very attractive.

The 2nd example is one of the Roon specimines, also hand worked. It's devoid of the NS eagle and national symbol, in place a single upright oak leaf sprig adorns the obverse langet. This example is not the easiest Roon pattern to find, and it's simple elegance has always attracted me to this particular pattern.

Just thought i'd share a few of these.
    Attached Files

Backstrap and pommel assembly. Note the deeply worked acorns and oak leafs.
    Attached Files

Comment

The Roon pattern.
      Attached Files

Comment

The demand on this specific Roon pattern is not as high as normally encountered with other Roons, simply because a segment of collectors are turned off by the lack of the eagle and swas.
        Attached Files

Comment

Lovely swords Tom.

Comment

Very nice Hopefully I can add a sword to my collection one day.
            Barry

Comment

Tom,

I agree with your assessment of the "Roon" swords. Don't forget to mention that the "Roon" was the highest priced P guard made by Eickhorn of this type because of the hand work required to make it. Just because something looks simple and classic does not mean that it is cheap to produce or sell.

Comment

George,
                Indeed my friend. It was discussed at some length in another post yesterday.

Good collecting gents,
                Tom

Comment

Love that backstrap detail.

Have you started your reference book yet? Come'on Swordfish a nice glossy calendar of yer very best ones at the very least...

Comment

Pv my friend,
                    I think i'd probably be the only loser to actually buy a calendar with glossy photos of Heer sabers. I like the idea though. Didn't Hohaus or another collector used to publish a yearly calendar with rare and scarce dagger examples? These are probably collectible in their own right now.

Tommy Boy

Comment

Ok-
                      I want to also creep this nice Imperial era Lionhead in here. The gilt rates mint. Sharskin excellent++. Blade etched, but does have some age spotting dur to VERY long storage in her scabbard. This Uhland cavalry saber has a black, double ringed scabbard. This also rates amoungst my favorites. She came from a fellow collector who had to move her quickly, so the price was reflective of those circumstances. Anyway, here she is.

Tom
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SwordFish; 09-18-2009, 04:26 PM.

Comment

P-Guard on this Uhlan saber.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Etched blade.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The detail on the langet looks very crisp,
                            and nice pattern etch

Comment

Thanks Luke.

It's a nice piece, overall and rates in the excellent category, even factoring in the minor age spots (which I was able to clean up some years back). Imperial era pieces are a neat sub-set or sub-genre of German saber collecting. At this juncture, my efforts are focused mostly on Weimar era the NS era produced Heer pieces, with some extra side focus on "AgNazi" pieces...pieces devoid of any NS symbols which were produced during the period. For example, i've been collecting various "oak leaf sprig" specimines from a variety of manufacturers. With regards to a number of these particular crossed oak sprig langet examples, I have not been able to find any documentation on these, period or otherwise. It seems that weekly, I discover a particular pattern which I wasn't aware existed. I believe I own something like 8 or 9 different oak leaf pattern sabers, all from different manufacturers.

The example below I found on a whim. The seller had it selling as an "old German forrestry officials sword". The price on it was quite nice, and it's a relatively recent addtion.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by SwordFish; 09-18-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X