MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gravity Fliegerkappmesser, collector tread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pesho View Post
    Maybe this is a silly question, but what is the main used of the gravity knife and especially the spike?
    Which units have been equipped first with the gravity knives – aircraft crews or paratroopers?
    Both at the same time I guess, as all of them used parachutes and needed utility tool for cutting (blade) and untangling the cords (spike).

Comment

Originally posted by 777 View Post
      Both at the same time I guess, as all of them used parachutes and needed utility tool for cutting (blade) and untangling the cords (spike).
      Thanks 777, sounds logically – in emergency cases the pilot to cut of the seat belts. But I just wonder untangling the cords on the air, during the flight or the jump – what kind of cords?

Comment

Parachute cords, but not necessarily in the air. The parachutes were used several times during the training and soldiers were assembled them back (don't know the right technical word) for another use and because the cords were often entangled, the spike wused to be a handy tool.
        Cutting seatbelts? Also possible use, but the main goal was to free yourself after the landing while hanging on a tree, or having all cords around you, especially under enemy fire - the knife that could be opened just with one hand was priceless in such situations.

Comment

Originally posted by 777 View Post
          Parachute cords, but not necessarily in the air. The parachutes were used several times during the training and soldiers were assembled them back (don't know the right technical word) for another use and because the cords were often entangled, the spike wused to be a handy tool.
          Cutting seatbelts? Also possible use, but the main goal was to free yourself after the landing while hanging on a tree, or having all cords around you, especially under enemy fire - the knife that could be opened just with one hand was priceless in such situations.
          As far as I know the knife stays in a special pocket fasten with security rope on the belt.
          If a paratrooper hanging on the three, and he couldn’t succeed in reaching the pocket with the knife, he will tries to pull the knife by the rope, than he should tries to throw the knife in the air and to try to catch it with his palm in order to press the releasing button.
          Do you think that this is easy job for a man pendulous, round with ropes and branches ?

Comment

I'll tell you: I never tried this, but you can experiment by yourself
            Anyway, if the Germans introtuced this type of knife for all soldiers equipped with parachutes, there must have bee a good reason for that beyond opening the cans. All I can do is to recommend you the book "Luftwaffe Gravity Knife: A History and Analysis of the Flyer's and Paratrooper's Utility Knife" by Mack Pattarozzi. Once you read it, you'll be fully educated on that matter. You can always go and ask at Fallshirmjäger forum http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...splay.php?f=16
            Good luck with your study

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Dear 777,
                Thanks again for your help.
                I have found a friend of main who has the book, and I got replays to all my questions without any experiments on my self.

P.S. I received and some pictures on this subject, but unfortunately I couldn’t succeed in posting.

Comment

My little woodless contribution....

Comment

An SMF with provenance to Galatas, Crete.

The original thread on it.
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=593272
                    Attached Files
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

SMF Stainless take down.
                      Attached Files
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

SMF details.
                        Attached Files
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Blade detail.
                          Attached Files
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by pesho View Post
                            As far as I know the knife stays in a special pocket fasten with security rope on the belt.
                            If a paratrooper hanging on the three, and he couldn’t succeed in reaching the pocket with the knife, he will tries to pull the knife by the rope, than he should tries to throw the knife in the air and to try to catch it with his palm in order to press the releasing button.
                            Do you think that this is easy job for a man pendulous, round with ropes and branches ?
                            Sorry, this is a false senario. The knife pocket on jump trousers is on the outer right thigh, within easy access of the right hand. The cord is a safely measure, in case the knife is accidentally dropped, so it is not lost. Early parachutes did not have quick release harnesses, the gravity knife was essential equipment for rapid escape if hung in a tree, or more likely, being dragged over terrain by wind.
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

A splendid take down gravity knife, John The first one I've seen completly in stainless steel. Might be a prototype due to number and the R?
                              Regards,
                              Mats

Comment

Originally posted by mwl View Post
                                A splendid take down gravity knife, John The first one I've seen completly in stainless steel. Might be a prototype due to number and the R?
                                Regards,
                                Mats
                                Thanks Mats! It is a first for me also because as you noted, all the parts appear to be stainless. The knife never had any exterior plating like the non-take down stainless blade examples I am used to. Have no idea about the number 0000, but if this were on a firearm it would be highly unusual.
                                Regards,
                                John
                                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X