No announcement yet.

SS Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pommel cap screws right onto the blade??
    Not SS Fuhrer Degen whose cap has external thread.(This one is internal)
    This will have the step fitting into which the pommel cap will screw.
    The blade is held in place by a lock nut which itself is capped.
    This is typical of the Police sword assy.Suspicious....!? Made to deceive.
    Clear as mud!!!
    Seilerconfused: ?

Comment

Originally posted by Seiler View Post
      The pommel cap screws right onto the blade??
      Not SS Fuhrer Degen whose cap has external thread.(This one is internal)
      This will have the step fitting into which the pommel cap will screw.
      The blade is held in place by a lock nut which itself is capped.
      This is typical of the Police sword assy.Suspicious....!? Made to deceive.
      Clear as mud!!!
      Seilerconfused: ?
      Seiler,your refering is right for early ones,later as the Dachau's can have the same way as this.

Comment

Tobau,
        You are correct,but,I think this one is posing as an early to pre Dachau type.
        Ja?
        Seiler

Comment

A mid period SS degen will in fact have the pommel screwed directly to the blade tang. I've have 3 that were made this way. But back to the one shown, there are many challenges to this piece as have been mentioned.

Comment

Looks to me like somebody either tried to repair a broken blade tang or brazed on a new threaded one. Not a good indictor of an original sword - tending to indicate that a fair amount of fooling around has taken place to try and make something marketable. Also, the grip wires seem that they may be a tad loose, and I suspect that an examination under the rear grip connector bar might show signs of the grip being rewired. FP

Comment

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
              Looks to me like somebody either tried to repair a broken blade tang or brazed on a new threaded one. Not a good indictor of an original sword - tending to indicate that a fair amount of fooling around has taken place to try and make something marketable. Also, the grip wires seem that they may be a tad loose, and I suspect that an examination under the rear grip connector bar might show signs of the grip being rewired. FP
              This could also possibly explain the placement of the grip rune. I'm staring to suspect this is not the original grip wood.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
                I am going to leave this one alone. My reservations were basically the ones that were mentioned. The painted scabbard, the newish looking grip (which material I still have not managed to identify) and the minty portepee. The biggest reservation was the heat marks on the blade near the thread. The only two parts on which I could almost be certain were "original" were the ferrule and the pommel.

I'll keep looking!

Comment

Good thinking.
                  Seiler

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X