VirtualGrenadier

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS Rohm "Grinder" w/ a little history . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pic 1
    Attached Files

Comment

Some further information that may offer potential for locating a family member of George Koniger was just offered to me here:

http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewto...211742#p211742

These guys are amazing! I am attempting to see if I can locate any further information that may be of interest to the dagger . . .

Brad

Comment

By request, back to the top for further discussion . . .

Brad

Comment

Hi Brad, I don't see anything wrong with it?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
            Hi Brad, I don't see anything wrong with it?

Cheers, Ade.
            I don't either, but as I am attempting to sell it on the E-Stand, I really do want to extend as much comfort as possible to a potential buyer . . . someone contacted me earlier and expressed a desire to start a discussion about it - I just thought I'd drag these old comments up as well for him . . .

It was always one of my favorite items - it will be hard to let go . . .

Brad

Comment

To be honest Brad, I have looked at it a few times. If I had the money, I would have bought it.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
                To be honest Brad, I have looked at it a few times. If I had the money, I would have bought it.

Cheers, Ade.
                I guess that means I don't stand much of a chance at putting you into the grip of lovely, little M36 either . . .

Brad

Comment

Love it when the info is found on these! Nice!

Comment

Hi Brad, sadly not

What did appeal to me was the fact it was attributed and it was also a Rohm. With me already having an attributed '33 plus an attributed '36 it would have fitted in very well into my collection.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

dagger

Dagger appears 100% authentic, but I suspect it had a Rohm dedication ADD'd after the War; because it has a Full size trademark, & I am certain that Herder was using a small reduced size trademark placed close to the crossguard (as was required for proper placement of dedication) . In the late 1950's & early 1960's: there were dealers in England adding Rohm inscriptions to authentic blades to raise their profits; these were same dealers who were Etching various SS & other markings on Combat K-98 Bayonets. Looks like that Rohm inscription was removed by commercial metal grinding machine. Not trying to "rain on anyone's parade", but that's My opinion
                      Last edited by BOB K. (RKSS); 12-05-2008, 09:12 AM. Reason: add facts

Comment

[quote=BOB K. (RKSS);2969283]Dagger appears 100% authentic, but I suspect it had a Rohm dedication ADD after the War; because it has a Full size trademark, & I am certain that Herder was using a small reduced size trademark placed close to the crossguard (as was required for proper placement of dedication) . [quote]

No, I don't believe that's true - even the book by Wittmann shows many examples that say otherwise . . . check it out for yourself - before I picked the dagger up long ago, I had to do so as well!

Brad

Comment

Bob,

Here's another link for anyone interested about the trademark/inscription confusion:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...er+Ground+Rohm

Maybe it will help . . .

Brad

Comment

One of the nicest things I have found about the dagger is the grip. Although it is missing two sections, there is just something about it - it has much better cut contours and features than many other Herder's that I have had in the past. It almost makes me believe that when the grips were made for Rohm daggers, Herder might have spent a little more time on their grip carvings . . .

Go figure?

Brad

Comment

"RaymondG", an Admin. over at the "World War Militaria" Forum, just passed this bit of information on to me - in his collection, he has a recording that is dated August of 1934, and is a short list about SS men with privately owned weapons.

Apparently, Mr. Königer owned a Walther pistol in 7.65 mm as well . . .

I wonder what else will turn up about him?

Brad
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BOB K. (RKSS) View Post
                                Dagger appears 100% authentic, but I suspect it had a Rohm dedication ADD'd after the War; because it has a Full size trademark, & I am certain that Herder was using a small reduced size trademark placed close to the crossguard (as was required for proper placement of dedication)
                                This is not correct. Herder did NOT use a smaller maker mark on their Rohm inscription blades. However, this same attribute has allowed fakers the opportunity to create full, partial and ground Rohms from non-inscription original Herder blades.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,524 at 02:02 PM on Today.

Working...
                                X