SS engraved bayonet - please check!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I am new in the bayonet world,so forgive me but I will be asking a lot of stupid questions I guess

What do you guys mean that this dress bayonet is a "modified" firemans bayonet?
    Doesn't the fireman bayonet has a diffirent crossguard?

Any help is welcome,
    thanks,

Jeremy

Comment

Hey

No problem for asking, we all learn by observing. You are right about the crossguard. It would have the fingerguard facing in the opposite direction on the other side. What we are saying is that one side has been filed off, cut-off. However, the main determinant in this case is the pommel, which does not have a nut, no slide and therefore different from the standard dress bayonets.

Here's what I mean, sorry for the pics:

Fire dress bayo:

Standard dress bayo:

JAN
      Last edited by jancz3rt; 11-25-2007, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Hi Jan,

Thank you for the help

I understand,the diffirences,so you guys mean with the bayonet "modified"is that it has changed from a fireman's bayonet,to a standard dress bayonet,by cutting of one side of the crossguard?

Whas this done by someone after the war for some reason,or was this a common thing to do pre 1945?

Thank you,
        Jeremy

Comment

Hmm

From what I know, it was not something to be done pre-1945. The fact that the etch and the portepee are fake and made to deceive, it was most likely worth for the faker to modify a relatively common fire dress bayo and make into an "SS" dress bayonet.

JAN

Comment

Thank you Jan

kind regards Jeremy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X