SA ground Rohm blade advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA ground Rohm blade advice

Picked this up from a little militaria shop on a trip to South wales last week.
    Couldn't believe my luck, the pictures really don't show just how uncleaned this one is, the build up on the crossguards is lovely, don't think they've been cleaned in 60 years! You can see that the nut is awash with age & seems to have never been turned.
    My question is that the blade has some little areas that have gone like the crossguards & nut with that green hue of age. Should i clean it off the blade or leave it there, also the dirt that's up under the crossguard. I would never clean the crossguards etc.
    The story is that 3 brothers took it in the shop as their father recently died who brought it back from the war (they also have a helmet & some medals but haven't brought them in yet). I think as children they must have pulled it in & out a lot pushed the dirt up under the crossguard.
    Opinions welcome.
    Ant.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

last pic
                Attached Files

Comment

SA Ground Rohm

Hi Ant.

Fantastic looking Ground Rohm you have got there by Eickhorn, well done.

I personally would leave the fittings alone as you have said but get that green gunk off the blade. It is probably a mixture of 70 years of dirt and perhaps a little grease that has been added and may still be some in the scabbard.
                  I would scrape the excess off with something like a wooden cocktail stick and then wipe the blade over with a soft cloth and WD40. You could also spray a little WD40 inside the scabbard and then let the excess drain out.
                  This green gunk if left long enough could perhaps cause pitting/ greying to the blade.
                  You could also use a little simichrome on the blade again with a soft cloth , taking care around the maker mark and motto and working it across the blade (with the crossgrain).

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Ian

Simplydaggers

Comment

Thanks Ian, appreciated. You're the dagger man for sure
                    It was a good price too, never thought i'd find a militaria shop in the valleys & couldn't believe my luck finding this SA.
                    I've got the cocktail sticks at the ready, didn't think that build up on the blade would be good. can see quite a bit of gunk in the scabbard too.
                    Might leave the semi chrome for now as i wouldn't be too sure of what i'm doing.
                    Now all i need is that SS dagger

Comment

nice find where abouts was this place you found it? it might be close to my travels always looking for places to waste time

mike

Comment

Looks like a cracking dagger ,you hear a lot of things told about what not to do and what to do with blades ,is WD40 safe ? Rob
                        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by evilmike View Post
                          nice find where abouts was this place you found it? it might be close to my travels always looking for places to waste time

mike
                          Hi Mike!
                          It's in Abergavenny, it was just on the edge of town on the road in from Crickhowell (that's how i found it & resisted braking too hard!).
                          Old school owner, decent guy but beware that he closes for lunch for nearly 2 hours! I've never been so fit walking round Abergavenny in circles waiting for him to open again.
                          Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
                            Looks like a cracking dagger ,you hear a lot of things told about what not to do and what to do with blades ,is WD40 safe ? Rob
                            Hi Rob!
                            I've never used it myself but i have heard of dealers using it. That's all i know but i wouldn't have thought it could do the blade harm, would make sure it's all wiped off though.
                            Ant.

Comment

haha thats up on a bend isnt it, ive never seen it open ever and i pass a couple of times a month when iam working on the A465 dueling..... i hope it wasnt too much of a bargin :P dam you

did he have any hj or other sa daggers?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X