No announcement yet.

Shrinkage or a partsdagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i bought it for the blade. Its desireable maker, yes. But IMO a parts dagger isnt worth 470 euros.

Comment

I didnt see the close scans of the handle till now....suspicous

Comment

If the grip had uniformly shrunk I'd expect it not to exactly match the contour of the crossguards. Since it's giving you cause for concern, it really doesn't matter whether it's shrinkage or replaced. It's been my experience that if it bothers you now, it will bug you a lot worse in six months. Being happy with your collection is what it's all about, so return it.
        Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

There is no way that this is a skrinkage issue. There might even be evidence of the hole through the middle of the grip being altered to accept the blade tang too.

Comment

Regardless of the reason, 4mm is a huge gap, especially if it is opposite a 1mm space. That just isn't right.
            The lower grip gaps are parallel to the crossguard, but the upper gaps are at a different angle than the crossguard. Is that normal?

That lower scabbard fitting is an eyesore.
            The piece has too many issues to be in my collection.
            I would cringe every time that I looked at it.

Rare blade or not, you should be able to do better for that kind of money.
            That's just my opinion. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert.

Comment

I would not be comfortable with that. Go with your gut Daniel. I always accepted shrinkage with the grain, not against it. Buggered screws sealed the deal. I bet JR is right you will see some evidence "under the hood".
              Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Thanks guys. If you had it in your hands you would be even more uncomfortable with it. The scabbard paint smells, it shouldnt after such a long time. Back it goes...........................

Comment

I think it doesn't matter if the grip, etc. are replacents or not, the fact is you're not happy with it. You'll wonder about it and the small things will grow to be big things in your mind. If you have the option to return it, I would suggest you do that. A shame since it's a nice rare maker in terrific condition but you'll be happy you did in the long run. Skyline also brings up a good point, there are differences of opinion on what the grip gaps mean and these might make it more difficult to unload if ever you have to do so. A shame but you have to be happy with the piece ultimately.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X