Lion Head Sword E.PACK&SOHNE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same again, can't think why I haven't carried out this exercise before now

There is a match for the ferrule on page 112 the Pack Cavalry sabre. This must be evidence of part sharing between makers or even a common supplier.

Cheers,
    David.
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

David,

I think the saber on the side 122, 123 and 134 all from the maker "pack" and this is a mistake from Angolia. The saber are all unattributed/without maker mark.

Greetings Schwede

Comment

Possibly, but I always took unattributed to mean model number unknown not the maker. Am I mistaken?

Cheers,
        David.
        At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

No, you are right! That is my mistake!

Greetings Schwede

Comment

The hilt is a Paul Seilheimer pattern. The finely sculpted and detailed eagle and the panther head hilt match a PS marked saber I recently sold. I find it interesting that this blade is marked to Pack. Pack hilts aren't usually as crisply detailed. Maybe Pack had an order for an extra quality hilt. Who knows. Parts sharing ocassionaly occured between companies toward the mid war timeframe before edged weapons were replaced by sidearms. You will see this type of sharing more on daggers than on swords.

Nice saber.

Tony
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

That's just it Tony. This pattern hilt appears three times in Angolia's book:

Paul Seilheimer
              Anton Wingen Jnr
              Tiger

Here it is again as an E. Pack.

The only difference being the ferrules. That's rather a lot for an occasional share of parts. What surprises me more is that I hadn't previously noticed such behaviour by the sword manufacturers.

Cheers,
              David.

P.S. Anyone have this model by any other maker?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X