Help looking for Forestry/Hunting Cutlass Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damasco View Post
    . Yes the navy book is nice.. Again these pommel types were known in the 70s
    6 years.... Good to see you staying with it..Started 2014 Wow Tom's book was published 15 years earlier..
    You will find as you mature in your collecting you one day will understand what matters.. Keep buying daggers lots of them. Listen to internet experts. How can you go wrong... making a joke..
    I would ask Tom if his opinion has changed in 21 years since he published the Navy book..
    That book is chocker block full of mistakes, and after reading that book I wont be asking Tom anything.
    I think I already understand what matters, and for me its not catalogues, but each to their own.

Russ.

Comment

Gentlemen,
      You are both correct imo. I’ve been collecting navy edged weapons for about 30 years now. Yes, I buy every period catalog and all reference books available. Its a small price to pay relative to the price of artifacts.
      The catalogs have written information, artists renderings and some photos. These were never intended to show the level of detail collectors use today nor every variation over time. However, period catalogs and documents can dispel a lot of collector myths. And yes, as we gain knowledge we also find errors in reference books and not infrequently.
      There also is no substitute for high resolution photographs of original daggers and most importantly actually examining them in hand. You must learn the small details, some of which isn’t published yet.
      Bulldog your knowledge of navy daggers is exemplary. You know your stuff.
      Damasco, you routinely lecture us about the value of period catalogs yet I have yet to see you ever post anything from this trove of documentation you have to drive your point home. May want to reconsider.

Comment

You are welcomed to come see my archive and collection Stratocaster3

Comment

Damasco, as your easily pleased with my answers to your questions in another thread, now its your turn to answer mine here by showing PROOF WITH CATALOGUE PICTURES of what I asked for in post 6. Its no good saying "simple answer yes" as in post 7, you need to put up or shut up.

Russ.

Comment

You are welcomed to come to my home or you will also be able to buy information in future REFERANCE. Not sure why you keep bringing up catalogs.. There is much more in the archives besides catalogs.. .. Drawings, pictures,full descriptions of parts used ,pricing These are not catalogs but Musterbuchs. Original etching s. panels .. on and on..
            . I proved my point.. Not everything is on the internet or is known by the fourm bullies or experts..
            . Also have proven that forum type experts who find all information on internet or the same circle of like minded collectors will not spend $$$$ On a NEW reference that would answer the questions raised.. They all expect a free lunch..

. GOODLUCK ..

Comment

As usual you proved nothing on here, but I already knew you couldn't show in your documentation what I asked for (but it can be found on the net), and this proves that documentation (catalogues which were the subject of conversation here) are not the best resources. Get used to the "internet collectors", they're here to stay, and enjoy the free lunch.

Russ.

Comment

Russ
                Whilst i tend to agree with most things you mention, as far as Hunting and Forestry hirschfängers go it would be very difficult to learn everything from the Net as the main focus, the way you study Army and Navy daggers would be almost impossible to do with hunting and Forestry pieces as there are just not enough of them to get a decent representative selection, it's not like there are thousands of them out there as there are with Army and Navy daggers, when you add in the variations you can find on most of the so called textbook types it just adds to the difficulties, most people would get a decent reading of them from catalouges or from any reference books that do have examples, it takes years to get a good idea of what is right or wrong, many companies exchanged parts at different times, different makers used different etches at various times, its not all standard which is what you normally see on other types. I have been collecting these things for over 20 years and i still learn new stuff weekly, I think there is a place for the net as there is a place for catalouges and books, its best though to ask questions of somebody experienced in these things, I personally prefer to do my own homework where I can, perhaps the guy who started this thread might want to do the same rather than rely on the forums to say if its good or not.
                Gary

Comment

I cant believe I am doing this, when the big dogs are going at it (pun intended Russ), but I think I am going to put my two cents in here from a newbie. I have been collecting daggers for an entire 5 months. I already have bought five daggers ...all of which I had checked out on this forum and graciously took all the free chicken I could get. I believe, could be wrong, that the whole purpose of this forum was guys who enjoyed the same hobby to talk about their hobby, share their knowledge with guys who also enjoy the hobby, and grow the hobby. No different than a bunch of guys sitting around and talking sports. I would imagine that most guys who have been doing this for decades, enjoy sharing their knowledge with the new guys. It is supposed to be a community of old guys and new guys...without the old guys, the community of collectors keeps making the same mistakes. Without the new guys, the hobby dies plain and simple and all your precious collections will be worth nothing. Im guessing more than a few of you are dealers...how many of you have bought from families that just dont want nazi things in their house anymore and know nothing about the historical treasures they have? Without the old guys passing their knowledge on to new collectors, this hobby is toast. Everyone loves to throw out their years of experience..so here is mine....I spent 22 years as a Marine Infantry and Light Armored Reconnaissance officer. In that time, my whole purpose was to train the younger guys and give them everything I knew..especially to tell them about the things I screwed up, so that they didnt make the same mistakes...thats how it works. One more point...isnt a guy who buys online, sells online, and talks about his hobby on an online forum (essentially conducting online research)...kind of an "internet collector"? I guess my real question is this...Why would someone who is not willing to impart the knowledge they have learned be on a site like this at all? Sounds like someone who just wants some free chicken. Please dont kick me off...I really want to buy a Luftwaffe dagger that I need some advice on it.

Comment

Good post wallace

Comment

I agree. Well said Wallace. Unfortunately as with many pursuits in life, there are a select few with outsized egos and as we say here in Texas are “ all hat and no cattle”. I honestly feel sorry for them as they must have a hole in their life when their entire identity is tied up in what is a hobby and enjoyable pastime built on mutual respect for like minded enthusiasts. The vast majority of members on this forum willingly share their knowledge and experience and are good people.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X