Help looking for Forestry/Hunting Cutlass Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help looking for Forestry/Hunting Cutlass Books

Hunting & Forestry Cutlasses have always been some of the most beautiful blades produced IMO. I am looking for recommendations on books/reference materials as I'm new to collecting daggers and would like to learn more about them I havent been able to find anything specific outside of Thomas Johnsons Vol 3. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by scarelettarms; 08-09-2020, 10:15 PM.

You need to buy as many original dagger catalouges as you can find as that is the only place you are going to find out any information, I have been collecting Hunting and Forestry edged weapons for years and if you need any assistance then please email me directly and I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Gary

saufaengerkid@ntlworld.com
    Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Gary. Buy catalogues.
      Attached Files

Comment

Were these original dagger catalogues mass produced, therefore easily available?
        Are they reasonably affordable if you don't have a lot of disposable income and don't want to spend as much money as a collector of documentation?
        Do they contain clear colour photographs of daggers showing the types of screws, colours and materials of buffer pads and show good detail of all the fittings, or are they black & white drawings?
        Is it not better to post a dagger you are interested in buying on here and therefore save money, get information not contained in catalogues, and everyone can learn about it?

Russ.

Comment

1. Yes, some of these catalogs are easily available.. Eickhorn ,WKC, Alsoco, + many more have been reprinted.The price is under $50.00. Many other catalogs or reference have not because internet collectors want information for free. If you are buying German daggers and swords you better have disposable income. Very topical tight wade collector response to period reference.
          Yes some of the reference shows all parts used with price of each part.. Even price difference for fire gilding and other material options.
          The same old problem for the last 40+ years collectors do not want to invest $$$$ in knowledge they rather have someone else do it and than want it for free..
          many here do not understand that knowledge learned and found over the years by spending time and MONEY is power and it can save or make you money.. (oh wait internet collectors do not care about money) JOKE
          Many have picked the minds of old school researchers only to use it against them.. See it all the time..
          If unpublished, (unknown to internet information) was published in a series of books that costs $200.00 Ea. would internet collectors buy it.. (That would be a NO)
          Remember pictures can have international copyright. I hate the attitude of what is mine is yours.. I enjoy the hobby but I learned there is no free lunch and if you give a free lunch SOME bite you in the hand.. This is a general post and not signaling out any internet collector.

Comment

Thanks for the response but can you not respond without always having a go at so-called internet collectors, its getting boring. As you likely know I collect navy daggers (not documentation), so to give me faith in these catalogues which you highly recommend buying, can you show me, and others, a catalogue picture of what the two WKC M38 navy pommels and scabbards should look like, can you show me in a catalogue the type of screws, colour and material of buffer pad, and what style of crossguard is used on initial production Holler M38s with the rare reverse spiral grips, can you show me in a catalogue the two slightly different types of leaf bands Eickhorn used during the T.R. period, as well as the different types of eyelets, I could go on but you get the idea. I got this info off the internet, is it in the catalogues?

Russ.

Comment

Simple answer yes.. What you have posted is opinion based on internet pictures.. Matter of fact they have screw samples in Musterbuchs.
              So internet FREE reference collectors would not spend $200.00 EA.for a series of books that has this information based on period printed facts??

Why would I or others give a free education only to set others up as online experts.

It seems odd that you are talking about screws and buffer pads.. These things have been known for years..
              Good Reference is just part of collecting.

Comment

What I have posted is based on multiple examples and not just one or two shown in a catalogue which does not show all options, and I'm talking about catalogues not books. There's nothing odd about knowing the right kind of screws and buffer pads when looking for an un-messed with piece. I'll make it easy for you, and this will not make someone an online expert, just show one catalogue picture of each different WKC M38 eagle pommel. Come on prove they are in the catalogue, collectors need to know what each one looks like to make sure the right one is fit to their dagger, they are on the internet, are they (both) in the catalogue?

Russ.

Comment

[QUOTE=damasco;n11743754] Why would I or others give a free education only to set others up as online experts.

Then why did you on another thread make a link to Wittmann's online seminar.

Russ.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bulldog;n11743986]
                    Originally posted by damasco View Post
                    Why would I or others give a free education only to set others up as online experts.

Then why did you on another thread make a link to Wittmann's online seminar.

Russ.
                    Because Tom was handing out a (small) free lunch... Why do you think Him and other researchers are not printing books anymore?? Because everyone wants a free lunch on the internet . Cannot even cover the cost of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                      What I have posted is based on multiple examples and not just one or two shown in a catalogue which does not show all options, and I'm talking about catalogues not books. There's nothing odd about knowing the right kind of screws and buffer pads when looking for an un-messed with piece. I'll make it easy for you, and this will not make someone an online expert, just show one catalogue picture of each different WKC M38 eagle pommel. Come on prove they are in the catalogue, collectors need to know what each one looks like to make sure the right one is fit to their dagger, they are on the internet, are they (both) in the catalogue?

Russ.
                      Sorry the things you post are old news..
                      As far as the WKC THING buy the cheap reprint and find out... The different Eagles are very elementary. Was common knowledge in the late 70s to Navy collectors like myself at that time. Besides archives I still collect the hardware..

Comment

Just trying to make collectors open there horizons... Researching is hard work and never ends..

Comment

Originally posted by damasco View Post

Sorry the things you post are old news..
                          As far as the WKC THING buy the cheap reprint and find out... The different Eagles are very elementary. Was common knowledge in the late 70s to Navy collectors like myself at that time. Besides archives I still collect the hardware..
                          Still no proof shown.
                          What I have seen of the WKC catalogue does not show the fittings in detail.
                          What I post maybe old news to some but not to others.
                          If the WKC eagles were common knowledge in the 70s why when I started collecting about 6 years ago was Wittmann still calling an initial production WKC M38 eagle pommel a "replacement" pommel, see page 273 of his navy book published in 1999.

Russ.

Comment

Originally posted by scarelettarms View Post
                            Hunting & Forestry Cutlasses have always been some of the most beautiful blades produced IMO. I am looking for recommendations on books/reference materials as I'm new to collecting daggers and would like to learn more about them I havent been able to find anything specific outside of Thomas Johnsons Vol 3. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
                            I suggest you find as many examples as possible, look on dealer sites, archives, forums, etc and take notes of what company used what, you should be able to work this out if you look at enough of them, if your not sure about something ask here, this is what the forum is for.

Russ.
                            Last edited by Bulldog; 08-21-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post

Still no proof shown.
                              What I have seen of the WKC catalogue does not show the fittings in detail.
                              What I post maybe old news to some but not to others.
                              If the WKC eagles were common knowledge in the 70s why when I started collecting about 6 years ago was Wittmann still calling an initial production WKC M38 eagle pommel a "replacement" pommel, see page 273 of his navy book published in 1999.

Russ.
                              . Yes the navy book is nice.. Again these pommel types were known in the 70s
                              6 years.... Good to see you staying with it..Started 2014 Wow Tom's book was published 15 years earlier..
                              You will find as you mature in your collecting you one day will understand what matters.. Keep buying daggers lots of them. Listen to internet experts. How can you go wrong... making a joke..
                              I would ask Tom if his opinion has changed in 21 years since he published the Navy book..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X