Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My opinion and substantiation

Larry,
    i think - (as you said) this is "earlier pieces" dagger.

Originally posted by Larry Lipps
    Most RZM pieces have plated zinc alloy crossguards. For the most part only the earlier pieces have nickel silver fittings...

All we know that:
    To the beginning of the late period manufacturers still had many not used parts (such as crossguards, eagles for handles etc.) which have been made during the early and middle periods. Manufacturers tried to apply first of all these parts, and only then those parts which have been made later during last period from aluminium. Thus manufacturers some time supported high quality of the daggers. As we know, quality of awards and daggers began to worsen later.

Now look at the dagger. It's just fotos but nevertheless..
    "RZM" logo tell us that is later period. Nice "SA" emblem - it's not painted version! - i think it's earlier/middle period. Eagle of the handle - same periods - i think it's nickel-silver (remember - it's just foto!). Crossguards - equivalently.

So.. remember - it's just my opinion and it's just fotos!!

Best regards,
    Roman

Comment

i can take more pics of use magnets to help determine what medal its made of if needed

Comment

Well, to clear my confusion, I thought Roman was saying that no SA daggers were manufactured with zinc fittings. It's absolutely correct that earlier RZM pieces had nickel fittings. Sorry I (and I think tobau), misunderstood your original comment.

From looking at the photo of the SA button, the hilt fitting looks to me to show some lifting right where it touches the wood. This is generally one of the first problem areas on a plated fitting. It also looks like zinc peeking through on the far right end of the hilt fitting. Maybe not, but that was my take based on the photos.

Anthony, since neither of these fittings are magnetic, the easiest way to tell is to take a loupe and look where the wood touches the lower hilt fitting. Is there any evidence of plating bubbling at this point or is the surface simply age toned. Generally plated fittings have more of a chrome type shine while nickel is somewhat more subdued. While a good visual inspection will normally answer whether or not the fittings are plated, a clear photo of the area in question should clear up the issue.
        Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Larry,
          completely agree

Best regards,
          Truly your,
          Roman

Comment

ok ill try to post pictures tonight, right now work is hell

Comment

the sa, sorry it took so long been busy
              Attached Files

Comment

and the eagle
                Attached Files

Comment

Anthony, the quickest answer as to whether or not your fittings are nickel or zinc is probably going to have to come from an inspection on your part. Using your loupe, carefully chedk the area on the hilt that I marked with an arrow. If you see evidence of plating that is flaking with a darker colored metal underneath, then your fittings are zinc. If this is only a discoloration and the metal appears to be of one solid alloy, then they are nickel fittings. Generally by using a loupe and giving a good inspection, it should become fairly obvious whether the fittings were plated or not.
                  Attached Files
                  Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

its zinc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X