No announcement yet.

LW NCO Visor with Pink Piping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speculation I know, and that can be a bad thing.... but I would love to know the actual colour of the piping used on these caps, more than likely the Waffenfarbe is white, but.... the traditional colour of the Panzer troops was Rosa (pink) and I am sure there would have been those who followed the tradition of the Panzer arm and used the Rosa on their visor caps, and as I said above, more than likely also the Panzerjaeger (tank hunters) within the Luftwaffe Field Divisions also...
    Attached Files

Comment

My reasons are the same as the original thread starter, I would love to know who exactly wore the Rosa piped caps, the question has been asked on the WAF several times in the past, and no one has come up with an exact match for the piping, so it is interesting to speculate who or what organisation really wore the caps....

Yes I have a Rosa piped example also.

Bob
      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the Club Indeed, i would be more then happy to settle this Question. I got told its for Navigation specialty branch....what sounds very plausible......but everything else is possible as well. Everyone could go to a Taylor and tell them i want this Color on my Visor.

Originally posted by Bob Lyons View Post
        My reasons are the same as the original thread starter, I would love to know who exactly wore the Rosa piped caps, the question has been asked on the WAF several times in the past, and no one has come up with an exact match for the piping, so it is interesting to speculate who or what organisation really wore the caps....

Bob
        WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

I think you can rule out Navigation also, as they too were only officer grades.

This from Paul R, who is also a member here....

Bob

The Luftwaffe Corps of Navigation was established sometime in the late 1938 to early 1939 time period. The actual order has not been found. Like the Engineers, the Navigators held the status of non soldiers(Officials).

As of February 1939, the members of the Luftwaffe Corps of Navigation were ordered to wear the Luftwaffe uniform with their designating insignia which were:

1. Tabs- The tabs were very similar to those of the Corps of Engineers. The wreath/propeller were used to specify rank. The waffenfarbe, was dark green(same as the Admin Officials). These officials were all of the elevated career(silver piping)

2. Shoulder boards- The boards were multi layered like those of the Administrative Officials. The bottom layer designated the branch color(Dark Green). The upper nebenfarbe was bright yellow until 08October1941 where the boards were changed. The branch color then became pink with a light blue nebenfarbe.

29November1941, The Navigation Corps was disbanded. Most of the officers were transferred into the Luftwaffe proper as line officers in the Flight Branch.

Now, what did these men do exactly? Did they make maps or figure lay out flight plans based upon missions, intell, and weather?

Those who did not meet the qualifications and conditions for transfer to the Luftwaffe, or did not consent to a status as a Luftwaffe Officer were transferred to the Corps of Engineers as navigation personnel.
          There were the following three paygrades:

Fl. OberNautiker- Oberleutant
          Fl. HauptNautiker- Hauptmann
          Fl. StabsNautiker- Major

Comment

This excellent colour image will clear up a few facts but also raise more questions.

I'll leave to you gentlemen to decipher the ranks and insignia.
            Attached Files

Comment

Officer on the left is wearing a standard Luftwaffe officer visor cap, the Feldwebel on the right has been attributed to the Flak arm in other publications, maybe the photo has been colourised, as his cap has a neutral piping......

Comment

Damn shame if it has been colourised.
                Officer has a propeller on his tabs so at least he is an engineer, no?

What do you think of these boards? Luft Pz?
                https://www.ulricofengland.com/prods...s/g006945.html
                Attached Files

Comment

Possible visor for Oberfähnrich (Ing.) is an officer candidate rank.

See attached tab.

Post the cap in the Luft uniform section and hopefully Ramjet will comment.

Gary B
                  Attached Files
                  ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

I agree that Ben's picture has been colorised.. I personally think that the guy on the right is a flight related Feldwebel .. if you look few inches under the pocket button, you can see a part of the wreath of a flight badge.. so the guy is wearing a early jacket with the ( yellow ) collar piping.

He's no Oberfähnrich, because they only had twisted silver cord around the collar and the Tresse removed and mostly wore the NCO cap upgraded with off. insignia ..

I've seen era colorised pics with pilots having red Waffen farbe, so those wartime photoshoppers didn't care too much..

Oberfähnrich pic ..

Jos
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Lyons View Post

Bob
                      I can't shed any more light on the topic, but I have to say: That's a gorgeous cap Bob!

Comment

Originally posted by TWS View Post
                        I can't shed any more light on the topic, but I have to say: That's a gorgeous cap Bob!

Thanks Todd.

Cheers,

Bob

Comment

DECADES AGO, Ray Zyla (Mohawk Arms) had a uniform grouping of a Luftwaffe
                          PANZERJAEGER on his sales catalogue. As I recall, it was a fairly comprehensive
                          lot with documentation that indicated the soldier received an infantry assault badge.
                          The lot included a PINK PIPED visor cap as well.
                          Regretably, I did not keep the catalogue; it would have been a good reference.

Comment

Originally posted by longislandercjv View Post
                            DECADES AGO, Ray Zyla (Mohawk Arms) had a uniform grouping of a Luftwaffe
                            PANZERJAEGER on his sales catalogue. As I recall, it was a fairly comprehensive
                            lot with documentation that indicated the soldier received an infantry assault badge.
                            The lot included a PINK PIPED visor cap as well.
                            Regretably, I did not keep the catalogue; it would have been a good reference.

Thanks for adding this info, and yes a shame you couldn't save the photos, but great info all the same.

That is my guess on the Rosa piped caps too, I believe them to be associated with Panzerjaeger, and nice to have a bit of confirmation....

Best wishes

Bob

Comment

Gents, that photo is true period color.
                              It was taken by the French photographer André Zucca.
                              Many of his photos were published in Signal, and were to show that life was "normal" during the occupation.

No idea why he is wearing what appears to be white-piping (or yellow) with pink tabs):
                              Attached Files
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Interesting comments Stoney, but I don't believe the Feldwebel has 'Rosa' tabs,
                                and looking at the photo, I agree with Jos earlier, I think the colour of his tabs
                                have not registered the golden yellow of flight properly, and the photo has made
                                them look more 'pink' than yellow..... Nice photo though !!

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X