No announcement yet.

Steep angle visor fetish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris fascinating information, pretty sure it applied to the Germans as well if you looked at all the peak angles. They are all over the place. J

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
      Ben--the Italian makers allowed the soldier to choose the angle of his visor per this chart:
      Now, that is very interesting, thanks mate!

IMO, can't be done with German vulcanfibre peaks. The angle is pretty much set, give or take a few degrees. Leather peaks are a different ball game however, hence the extreme angle on that beautiful Alter Art cap.

Comment

Even civil visors go steep:
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Let's steer it back on track!

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
          Ben--the Italian makers allowed the soldier to choose the angle of his visor per this chart:
          That's interesting. I wouldn't doubt this applies across the spectrum for manufacturer's of many other countries.

And in retrospect, perhaps a better word-choice could have been made . . . but at the time, I'm sure it made sense. I'm with Jacques on this one . . . the fun has been had - and now may be the best time to move on with a little more maturity.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
            Now, that is very interesting, thanks mate!

IMO, can't be done with German vulcanfibre peaks. The angle is pretty much set, give or take a few degrees. Leather peaks are a different ball game however, hence the extreme angle on that beautiful Alter Art cap.
            Ben i kind of agree with you but.... vulkan fiber visors start off flat. It is actually up to the mutzenmacher to flex that visor as it passes under the presser foot in order to achieve the proper look. Heat is then applied during the blocking process for the caps completion.

Robt.

Comment

Schelly/Freudemann with a steep rake:
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

No surprise, really. There’s likely a collector preference for every variation we’ve encountered.

J-

Comment

It appears from fotos that Feldmarschall Keitel preferred steep angled visors.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                    Every heard of this?

No, me either until today.

Apparently it's a collector preference for visor caps where the peak or visor is angled downwards at a steep angle.
                    It's funny you should say that as Brits have shown a preference for steep visors for centuries.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by OSS; 12-20-2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
                      Ben i kind of agree with you but.... vulkan fiber visors start off flat. It is actually up to the mutzenmacher to flex that visor as it passes under the presser foot in order to achieve the proper look. Heat is then applied during the blocking process for the caps completion.
                      Hmm, not quite true mate, not with German visor caps at least.
                      The peak and sweatband are sewn on last and after the rest of the cap has been constructed. I've got a photo from the period somewhere, I'll dig it out. It shows a pre-shaped vulcanfibre peak being sewn on using a sewing machine with a special attachment for this process.

But you're right that heat will soften the fibre of these peaks. That's how I re-shape the ones that have been flattened or bent by bad storage. I use a hairdryer to gently heat them up. (Please don't try this yourselves because it's very easy to damage the paint and lacquer)

Comment

Smoke troops visor with steep angle.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice visors! Steepest one for me ...
                          Attached Files

Comment

It seems the original question that started this thread is
                            “Would you prefer a sharp angled peak visor at 60 degree or 45 degree or less.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Lenny W; 05-10-2020, 05:29 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Give me a 60 degree any day. Ben - over to you. What’s you thoughts.
                              You can’t deny appeal of the angle. Even the Poms agree 😁

Comment

Like I said before, I've never given it much thought and don't have a preference.

For me it's all about the overall look of the cap. If the peak is angled too much or too little, it just doesn't look right in my eyes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X