The Most Common Sewing Of Cap Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Most Common Sewing Of Cap Insignia

Always wanted to know what was the most common method of sewing on cap insignia on M-43s etc. during the war. I have seen examples where machine sewn as well as hand sewn was used. Were the insignia machine sewn on before the cap was assembled and are there examples where the insignia was machine sewn after assembly of the cap.

Originally posted by Waldmurmeltier View Post
    Always wanted to know what was the most common method of sewing on cap insignia on M-43s etc. during the war. I have seen examples where machine sewn as well as hand sewn was used. Were the insignia machine sewn on before the cap was assembled and are there examples where the insignia was machine sewn after assembly of the cap.
    I think that 99% of the insignia was sewn before the cap was assembled. It's even very difficult to understand how the insignia could be machine sewn on the cap already assembly.
    Nevertheless, I found at least 3 caps coming from the vet familly having the insignia hand sewn. I do not know however if the soldier recieved his cap that way or if he removed the insignia just after the war and resewn it after, as it was done with some uniforms. Just my experience...

Comment

The percentage indicated is certainly acceptable especially for WH/Army caps. It may not be for caps of other services, for a start Luftwaffe ones, which had the insignia hand sewn at the factory more often than not. In my collection I‘m down to some 30 field billed caps: 3 Luftwaffe out of 5, 1 “Polizei” out of 4, as well the single HJ LW Helper and LW-attached NSKK I own , have hand-stitched insignia.
      Sewing the insignia on an assembled cap is not a problem, as long as a machine with the specific arm was available. It’s just that is a little clumsy method and stitching would pierce and damage the liner .

Comment

Here is an OR's M43 cap with hand applied insignia that was done prior to the cap being finished, with the tips of the wings machined over after the eagle was applied. Cap is 1944 dated and RB Number 0/0501/0015....

Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you all, great info. I started collecting in 1969 and the general thought back then was if a cap did not have machine sewn insignia it was probably recently applied so I probably passed on some nice original pieces.

Comment

Could I get some opinions on the below linked cap, please?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=965404

Thanks.

Gary B
            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
              Could I get some opinions on the below linked cap, please?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=965404

Thanks.

Gary B

I'm also not a fan of that cockade Gary....

Cheers

Bob

Comment

Thanks, Bob.

Gary B
                ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X