Alte Art WH Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alte Art WH Infantry

I just wanted to show this cap from an old collection. This one is a nice combat worn example.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Interesting construction detail: no lining between the inner top panel and the sweatband - there was never a lining in this part of the cap. I do remember that I have seen 1 or 2 caps in the past with this feature.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MM1985 View Post
            Interesting construction detail: no lining between the inner top panel and the sweatband - there was never a lining in this part of the cap. I do remember that I have seen 1 or 2 caps in the past with this feature.
            Undoubtedly this cap has a very eye-catching look. Fritz Brink Hute had his seat in 1943 in Schillstr. 18 (and home in Neue Winterfeldtstr 5):

https://digital.zlb.de/viewer/image/10089470_1943/362/
            https://digital.zlb.de/viewer/image/10089470_1943/3814/

There is, however, no proof that he sold military headgears. This fact, combined with other elements, makes me doubtful. In particular, although the cap's body is undoubtedly original in my opinion, it is not possible to determine from the available images whether the front badges & chincords are really period applied or not. Perhaps it would be a good idea to check if there are any holes of metal badges inside. However from picture no. 4 it seems to me to see evident traces of glue on the sweatband, which on the back does not even comes properly together. Maybe a sweatband donated by another headgear? In this case the peak would also to be questioned. In short, according to my humble opinion, a put together visor, in the form of an alter-art to make it more appetizing.

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by enorepap View Post
              In short, according to my humble opinion, a put together visor, in the form of an alter-art to make it more appetizing.
              it nevertheless looks very nice!

Comment

There are no traces of glue visible on the sweatband - the sweatband is well worn and shiny on the edge like rubbed leather or hard worn leather.

I lifted the sweatband to look at the chincoard pins and I found a date stamp from 1938.

The visor matches in age and wear perfect together (lining, nap of wool, etc.)
                Attached Files

Comment

nap
                  Attached Files

Comment

Put together parts visor. As said a few things dont make sence in the construction and the visible stitching. J

Comment

Originally posted by MM1985 View Post
                      There are no traces of glue visible on the sweatband - the sweatband is well worn and shiny on the edge like rubbed leather or hard worn leather.

I lifted the sweatband to look at the chincoard pins and I found a date stamp from 1938.

The visor matches in age and wear perfect together (lining, nap of wool, etc.)
                      As I said, in my opinion, the visor's body is period. So no problem on the lining, nap of wool, etc.

I therefore ask you:

- what is that stuff I see in the post no. 4, very close to the Brink's logo? In this sense, I have to explain that I do not discuss the old age of the sweatband but its coeval connection to this cap.
                      - from post no. 8: is the cardboard made of flexible buckram or not?

Best regards

Comment

The black cardboard is made of a flexible material like seen in other Alte Art caps.

I do not understand your question regarding the stuff in post No. 4 - i just cannot see what you want to know. Please mark it on the pic.

Thanks

Originally posted by enorepap View Post
                        As I said, in my opinion, the visor's body is period. So no problem on the lining, nap of wool, etc.

I therefore ask you:

- what is that stuff I see in the post no. 4, very close to the Brink's logo? In this sense, I have to explain that I do not discuss the old age of the sweatband but its coeval connection to this cap.
                        - from post no. 8: is the cardboard made of flexible buckram or not?

Best regards

Comment

I am not authorized to post pictures. I can only try to explain me better. In the second image of your post no. 4, I see distinctly (left of the Brink's logo) an exposed seam and some glossy material of which I can not understand the real nature. It may also be a restoration or repair The fact remains that from the second image of your post no. 5 the sweatband seems to hang inappropriately on the back of the cap, as if it was a bit too short. I hope this time to have explained me better and I'm sorry if before I was not sufficiently clear.

Best regards

Comment

I might as well jump in here and muddy the waters as well.

You, the holder, are best suited to determine if there is glue residue on the headband or not as you have the cap in hand. If you say no then I believe you.

There is no problem with old style caps having cardboard "frames" as this and other materials were used in addition to buckram.

Pekuro for sure made a peak cap (no idea if this is true about any of that firms old style) that did not have lining material around the sides of the interior. Those caps had what I think were celluloid frames and were made for the Heer (at least) and not just civil caps......hardly anything about this rare but true characteristic has appeared on this forum in the last 15 years or so since it was re-hosted.

As for the headband or sweatband or whatever one calls it, I can say that it is seen that sometimes these were in fact period replaced. Several years of hard use would almost command such a thing if one wanted to continue using the cap. I suspect that this is the case here.

To me it looks like this band had been on that cap and worn on that cap for a good while.

The visor I believe is original to the cap.

Chincords were commonly added to old styles during the war. Most now have been removed to make the caps "correct" and thus destroying that bit of history, but period photos clearly bear out that maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of the Heer and SS old styles seen in wartime photos had cords! Most every author who captions these photos claims that these are peak caps with "springs" removed to make the caps look like crushers......they are in most cases simply incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                              i might as well jump in here and muddy the waters as well.

You, the holder, are best suited to determine if there is glue residue on the headband or not as you have the cap in hand. If you say no then i believe you.

There is no problem with old style caps having cardboard "frames" as this and other materials were used in addition to buckram.

Pekuro for sure made a peak cap (no idea if this is true about any of that firms old style) that did not have lining material around the sides of the interior. Those caps had what i think were celluloid frames and were made for the heer (at least) and not just civil caps......hardly anything about this rare but true characteristic has appeared on this forum in the last 15 years or so since it was re-hosted.

As for the headband or sweatband or whatever one calls it, i can say that it is seen that sometimes these were in fact period replaced. Several years of hard use would almost command such a thing if one wanted to continue using the cap. I suspect that this is the case here.

To me it looks like this band had been on that cap and worn on that cap for a good while.

The visor i believe is original to the cap.

Chincords were commonly added to old styles during the war. Most now have been removed to make the caps "correct" and thus destroying that bit of history, but period photos clearly bear out that maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of the heer and ss old styles seen in wartime photos had cords! Most every author who captions these photos claims that these are peak caps with "springs" removed to make the caps look like crushers......they are in most cases simply incorrect.
                              Amen! I agree 100% with everything stated above!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X