Gottlieb Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gottlieb Auction

Has anyone else seen the headgear that CG has on his current auction site?

In particular I welcone all comments/thoughts on this SS visor?

http://www.cgmauctions.com/detail.as...Cavalry-Piping

Let's get this out of the way first.

The photos that CG provides on his website are pathetically low res.
    How anyone is supposed to make a judgement based on 640 x 480 pixel photos is hilarious and a complete waste of time.

Secondly, his description is also useless.

"It may have been made during the war, however, as the colored piping was more 'armylike' than the standard white piping and continued to be worn even after the regulations forbade it. This qualtiy visor cap features a very soft "doeskin" type wool, early insignia, and a very tight velvet band that travels the hat's circumference. The velvet is the correct type with a short nap."

The only way to accurately asses this cap is to either provide lots of high res photos of all the stitching inside and out or preferabbly to handle and study it very closely.

99% of the colour piped SS caps I've ever handled were fake and usually very good fakes because there's a lot of money involved here so you can bet your life they were very well made with original insignia just like this one.

Comment

I looked more closely at the photos and IMO there is definitely reason to doubt the sweatband.

See the vertical creases? That's evidence that it doesn't fit the cap properly and it's not the original one.

Comment

Thank you Ben for your comments - I was hoping someone would chime in on the sweatband stitching. Totally agree with your assessment and would love to see this hat in hand.

There was a time when CG would bring these type of visors to this forum, especially SS visors, to authenticate. It seems that when Nick Z left the forum so did CG. Co-incident - perhaps- but we haven't heard from CG since then. However, I have seen suspect visors go up on his web site since that time to include this visor and one other SS with color farbe.

Comment

This is a tricky subject, and anybody who doesn't think so is a fool IMO. But I can't condemn this cap from these photos. I agree with Ben that these pics are not enough to make an informed assessment but I disagree with him on the sweatband. That is an ersatz (lesser-quality but not necessarily late-war or due to any prevailing economic conditions) sweatband, and I've had many, many caps that had them. When new, in the showroom, I'm sure they looked and felt just as good as top-quality leather. But 50, 60, or 70 years later, after many inquisitive collectors just had to see underneath, they often exhibit these striations and that is absolutely no reason to make a negative judgment of this cap IMO.

Craig Gottlieb has had as many good pieces pass through his hands as any of the "big" () names in this hobby and I doubt that he would risk his reputation on this cap if it didn't pass muster. But I, personally , would have to have a hand's-on before I agree it is good.

Having said all of that, in my own experience, Cavalry is the most likely encountered SS farb.

Comment

Hi,
            Is it possible that we are sometimes to mistrustful?
            Because we can found belts and buckles, Tunics, swords,daggers and the skulls and Eagles for visors. But where are the visors?

Br Christian

Comment

Originally posted by christian010483 View Post
              Hi,
              Is it possible that we are sometimes to mistrustful?
              Because we can found belts and buckles, Tunics, swords,daggers and the skulls and Eagles for visors. But where are the visors?

Br Christian
              No, especially not on color piped ss visors selling for thousands K

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                No, especially not on color piped ss visors selling for thousands K

I Know the Problem with the Color Piped Ss visors [emoji6]

But please Tell me where are all the Nice "normal" piped ss visors ?

Br Christian

Comment

Did someone actually say: "I doubt that he would risk his reputation on this cap if it didn't pass muster."

That was one of those dry humor remarks wasn't it?

Comment

I'm just wondering how the average collector can justify bidding on a $20,000 item, of which 99% are fake, that requires a hands on inspection by a great expert?

Comment

Don't be a "self authenticating" denier. Questioning the item might be construed as "offensive" to certain protected classes.

Comment

Hi,

the infos provided by the auctioneer.

See You

Vince
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

pictures for the WAF archives.

See You

Vince
                          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X