No announcement yet.

SS Visor from SS Wiking Div veteran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my favourite one though because he's driving a Schwimmwagen complete with SS numberplate 306 065. The experts could probably trace this vehicle. I've noticed that Renz had at least 2 field visor caps. This one has a vulcanfibre peak and alloy skull. Both were colour piped.

Yet another colour piped visor cap on the left. Those Wiking boys surely did love them and to hell with regulations!

Are those Officers tabs? if so, why the leather chinstrap?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BenVK; 01-27-2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paris Gun View Post
      I don't understand your comments Ben; frankly, I think it is a gorgeous hat! Congrats my friend.
      It is a great looking cap, no doubts there, it has lovely saddle shape and nice fat piping which is a bit unusual for a Kleiderkasse cap in my experience. But the sewing is poor I have to say. I restore these things remember so I notice the stitching most of all!

I can't help but be critical!

Comment

Renz's Recon Platoon

Ben, you're spot on - the 2nd Battalion Recon Platoon was equipped with 5 Panthers; but he was subsequently assigned as the Platoon leader of the Regimental Recon Platoon, which was equipped with 5 Pz. IVH. I think this was a step up to prepare him for staff officer duty at the regimental level - he briefly served as the O1 (Ordonnanz Offizier # 1) at regiment and at war's end was appointed as the Regimental Adjutant. He also wrote a lengthy article about the tank battle at Maciejow in the March 1966 Edition of "Der Freiwillige."

Comment

So he was promoted to Regimental Recon Platoon leader but had to "downgrade" to a Panzer IVH?

What a bummer!

Comment

Renz and Pz IV

Ben, yeah, that was a step down in terms of technology, but a step up in regards to career progression!

Comment

Do you know the dates involved Doug? I mean, did he actually participate in combat in a Pz IVH or was it too late by then?

Comment

Another dimension to this story.

The Kubinka restored Panther was painted in the scheme of Renz's Panther.

No idea why!?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=678419

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTE6...qmy9dA&index=6

Comment

Renz Combat

Ben, I have no idea. It couldn't have been for very long since he was an O1 at the regiment's HQ by March 1945 and the Adjustant by May 1945. I'll do some digging and get back to you.

Comment

Appreciate it Doug, thanks mate!

Comment

Renz Update

Ben, OK - here's the synopsis based on a in-depth review of the KTB of SS-Pz.Rgt. 5, the KTB of 1st Abteilung, SS-Pz.Rgt. 5, Klapdor's book "Wiking Panzers," the personnel files of several other officers who Renz replaced or who replaced Renz, John Moore's Fuehrerliste of the Waffen-SS, and finally Mark Yerger's book about the German Cross Holders of the Wiking Division. Also reviewed the table of organization (KStN) for the panzer regiment. Perhaps Charles Trang or Marc Rikmenspoel can add more.
                      Regards,
                      Doug
                      Ostuf. Manfred Renz served as Platoon Leader of II. Abt./SS-Pz.Rgt. 5’s reconnaissance platoon (Panther) until some point in May 1944, when he assumed duties as Regimental OO (O1) from outgoing O1 Ostuf. Friz Wolf.He performed collateral duty at regiment as the leader of the regimental reconnaissance platoon (Pz. IVH). Renz then was appointed Adjutant (Operations Officers) of SS-Pz.Rgt. 5 in April 1945, replacing Wolf.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Comment

Thanks again Doug, it's been really interesting learning about Renz and SS-Pz.Rgt. 5.

Comment

renz

Also, in the book "Armor Battles of the Waffen-SS" by Willy Fey, there's a section written by Renz describing his role in the relief of Kovel in early April 1944.

Comment

Originally posted by hilton View Post
                            very nice cap, and history. But such a tragedy that the original grouping was split up.
                            +1

Comment

What was he a doctor in? In many cases these doctors were not from the medical field.
                              Can you post a photo of your cap taken at the same angle as the period photo, to get a good comparison of those spots on the visor?

Comment

It's ironic you should mention the spots on the vulcanfibre visor.

I mentioned previously that it was nearly as good as a fingerprint.

I was completely wrong.

In fact, it's a lot more interesting than that but I'm reluctant to go into details because this forum has disintegrated into accusation and insults these days and to be honest, I can't be arsed with it anymore.

Doug and Remy provided some brilliant information and stunning photos of Renz in this thread but even those don'tt seem to impress anyone.

Not even photos of two colour piped SS caps worn by a Wiking Panther Tank Recon Platoon Leader seems to generate much interest.

And you just want to talk about the spots on the schirm plus get me to take photos at the right angle?

Give me a break!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X