No announcement yet.

Wehrmacht M41 Tropical Cap, opinions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A phillips head screw driver will make them splay repeatedly, an actual crimping tool is designed to make them roll. That's the way most eyelets are intended to be set.

Robt.

Comment

Fake cap IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
        Not for my collection

I do not like this tropical WH cap for a number of reasons

Have a look at these KM tropical M42 made by this maker and sold by Mike Davis, Virtual Grenadier and you will see why;

http://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=3985

http://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=357

If this maker ever did make WH examples which I doubt they did, then they would made the same way as the KM examples.With a sweat band for WH in October 1943 of course,

Chris
        Hi Chris

Tropical caps from makers of both tropical Herr caps & KM tropical caps are not always made the same way. The insignia apllication may be different, the grommets, constuction, even the maker's stamps may be different from the Herr version when compared to the KM version from the same maker. The maker HPC (Hermann Potthoff Coesfeld) for example.

"However, Franz Ritter never crimped grommets like the cap which started this thread. "

Perhaps not in the KM version but maybe in the Herr version seldom seen but possible ? Would not cast this cap off yet, as it has a lot going for it..

Perhaps photos of the interior grommets straight on would help ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim OK View Post
          Hi Chris

Tropical caps from makers of both tropical Herr caps & KM tropical caps are not always made the same way. The insignia apllication may be different, the grommets, constuction, even the maker's stamps may be different from the Herr version when compared to the KM version from the same maker. The maker HPC (Hermann Potthoff Coesfeld) for example.
          You mean differences like this WH tropical "HPC" Tim ?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...thoff+Coesfeld

Thanks but no thanks, I would pass on adding either cap to my collection.

I have 2x KM tropical "HPC" and 1x WH tropical "HPC" from excellent sources. They are not that different at all in how they have have been made, when held in hand. Including the range of grommet crimping seen on 101% originals by that maker,

Chris

Comment

It garners more positives than absolute negatives and should not be written off yet. It is for the 'most part' a textbook trop cap. Materials and workmanship look as they should with a few relatively small discrepancies...in my opinion, and from the pix shown.

Robt.

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
              You mean differences like this WH tropical "HPC" Tim ?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...thoff+Coesfeld

Thanks but no thanks, I would pass on adding either cap to my collection.

I have 2x KM tropical "HPC" and 1x WH tropical "HPC" from excellent sources. They are not that different at all in how they have have been made, when held in hand. Including the range of grommet crimping seen on 101% originals by that maker,

Chris
              Agree Chris thats an obvious fake. I mean originals from this maker which use different grommets and insignia application from HPC Herr to KM examples. Cockade is cross stitched on the Herr version, sraight stitched on the KM etc.
              Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 09-21-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I'm with Chris on this one - not one I'd be comfortable with. The grommets are (externally) attractive, but that splayed interior...? No.
                The insignia would be interesting to see more clearly - they look to have wear at variance to the cap itself, while the leatherette border of the sweatband gives me concerns. I'd like to see under there.
                The stamp font looks good - that is unsettling.
                The closest I've owned in regards to the grommets is attached. Slightly more rounded.
                Mark
                NZ
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mark

Great to hear from you. First impression was eagle is re-applied, from the wear compared to the cap etc. But the thread used to attach the insignia looks to match that of the thread used on the cap ? Grommets look ok to me but would like to see them from straight on to be sure ? Agree with Rob that it could just be the operator as far as the crimping. Your set is interesting, what year, model ?

Still on the fence...like it more than i don't, having not seen a Ritter made Herr M40 before.

cheers
                  Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim,
                    Later model, 43 dated in complete order. Maker long since worn out, unfortunately.
                    Mark
                    NZ
                    Attached Files

Comment

I've got 2 M40's with the same RBN as the cap that started this thread. The one I'm showing here I've had since the middle 1970's. The insignia is replaced but I never thought it could be a fake The other cap is very much the same. If any interest I'll take more and better photos tomorrow.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Richard T; 09-22-2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Close up
                        Attached Files

Comment

Richard,
                          Your base cap looks good from those photos...would like to see the grommets up close but suspect they will be different to those that started the thread.
                          OK - I posted at the same time Richard was posting.
                          Here's a font comparison. Interesting.
                          Mark
                          NZ
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by NZMark; 09-22-2016, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Can we see some close up shots of the leatherette strip on both caps please?

Comment

Well, this does indeed get interesting

I have to admit that the cap Richard has posted limited images of is promising.

The font of the stamp is bang on.

This is turning out to be an excellent thread/ study,

Chris

Comment

I like Richard's cap a whole lot better than the first one. Is it just me or does it look artificially aged?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X