No announcement yet.

Wehrmacht M41 Tropical Cap, opinions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Weitze Pz Officer Gren cap has the correct grommets, agree with you Tim edelweiss likely to been postwar added

As to a 43 dated cap with soutchade? possibly made up of left over stock

Mike a very nice cap and very tempting at that price, if only I wasn't building a new farm shed..

Mark S

Comment

I would think a soutache on any Heer cap manufactured in 1943 would be a red flag as they were discontinued (and ordered removed) in the summer of 1942.

Comment

Correct, soutache was ordered removed in 42, and it is a red flag based on regulations, however from the construction it appears to be a period manufactured cap?

re removal of soutchade; there enough photograph evidence to show that it was always not adhered too. As shown in this photo taken in 43 after the collapse of the DAK

Mark S
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by msteve21 View Post
          Correct, soutache was ordered removed in 42, and it is a red flag based on regulations, however from the construction it appears to be a period manufactured cap?

re removal of soutchade; there enough photograph evidence to show that it was always not adhered too. As shown in this photo taken in 43 after the collapse of the DAK

Mark S
          Though you will see photographic evidence of soldiers who ignored regulations, this is another subject. Manufacturers generally complied with contract specifications. At any rate, I have never encountered a genuine Heer cap with soutache manufactured after (mid) 1942.

Comment

Gentlemen good discussion. Agree with OSS the soutache has been added post war. The stitch line over the soutache & cockade is there to deceive. Also look closely at where the soutache enters the cap and the other stitch line just below.....

Comment

Also agree that no cap dated '43, rbn# or not should have a factory applied soutache. This soutache is not factory applied imo.

Comment

This is mine
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
                        Gentlemen good discussion. Agree with OSS the soutache has been added post war. The stitch line over the soutache & cockade is there to deceive. Also look closely at where the soutache enters the cap and the other stitch line just below.....
                        I would also suspect the officer's piping had been added at the time this cap was reworked.

Comment

Not good

Also look closely at where the soutache enters the cap and the other stitch line just below.....
                          , missed that Tim, post war added soutchade as stated

just found some old photos of this cap when it was for sale on a Canadian dealers web site last year

Comment

Originally posted by msteve21 View Post
                            , missed that Tim, post war added soutchade as stated

just found some old photos of this cap when it was for sale on a Canadian dealers web site last year
                            Hi Mark

Well i missed it too in my initial look. Real credit & thanks goes to OSS on this one. I was/am just following his lead...

Interesting to see it on the other site previously.

The rbn# 0/0669/0036 or 0038 is from Hessen.

& solo nice cap,
                            The eagle application is different then the other three shown ?

with regards
                            Tim

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                              I would also suspect the officer's piping had been added at the time this cap was reworked.
                              Would have to agree. Am not aware of any original factory made Officers M40's dated '43 or with an rbn# ? Pretty sure there are only a couple makers prior to '43, but could be wrong on this ??

At this point the Weitz cap is just put together with the soutache, piping, & edelweiss. But then You already knew that

Comment

Just to integrate this thread, here my RFNr 0/0384/0066 tropical cap.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X