Hermann Mayer Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC1 View Post
    Another aspect I am uncomfortable with and one thing I have not seen before on this type cap is the two fold on the bill as shown in the below photo. Typically you will see a single cloth covering for the bill.
    That seam is usually just under the edge of the brim and hidden, but is also sometimes along the edge as on this example. So this detail alone is not the "kiss of death" for a Meyer.
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
      That seam is usually just under the edge of the brim and hidden, but is also sometimes along the edge as on this example. So this detail alone is not the "kiss of death" for a Meyer.

Would agree for sure and what the hell is a 'single cloth covering'?

Robt.

Comment

John - thanks for chiming in. I had not seen this previously.

Robt - sorry for confusing you with tough wording. I meant to say only a "single" seam on the brim. Hope this helps in understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by ferdinandmax View Post
          these are my, that are identical regards sergio
          Actually, the caps seem quite different starting with the insignia. Attached is a photo of the cap that is the subject of this thread. More and better photos could tell us more....
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike - wish I could provide more pics but this was all that would be provided from this auction house and concur something is amiss with this example.

Supposedly, the collection came from a Robert D Mitchell, ex military which means nothing to me. There were a lot of items from him but many I saw were suspect as well but some good.

The auction house provided only this:

RARE WWII LUFTWAFFE TROPICAL HERMANN MEYER CAP 1943
            Era / Conflict: WWII
            Size: 56
            Provenance: From the collection of Robert D. Mitchell, who served in the U.S. Army from September 1976 thru February 2001 as an Cobra and Apache Attack Helicopter Pilot. Mitchell has collected militaria while travelling throughout the world as a military dependent of an Airforce Officer and as an active Duty Army Officer. He has authored numerous articles and papers, appeared in television documentaries, as well as provided Subject Matter Expertise. He is currently the Curator of the Army Aviation museum responsible for the historic collection of the Army Aviation Branch. His collection spans the military history of the twentieth century.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X