No announcement yet.

Late M40 Tropical Cap - Tunisia US Vet Bring Back - Help Needed with Maker Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed, a great cap. The grommets were (generally speaking!) all enamelled when produced but have popped-off over time. I've examined caps with the enamel shell coating sitting beside the cap itself on the shelf.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Mark
    NZ

Comment

Interesting comment.

Personally, I think they had a bucket full of grommets at the factory and just applied what they had in their hands as the cap rolled down the assembly line.

Comment

Originally posted by barry1954 View Post
        Great cap and in a nice size as well
        Barry
        Yes. And a big head for your average blonde DAK landser !

Comment

Originally posted by NZMark View Post
          Indeed, a great cap. The grommets were (generally speaking!) all enamelled when produced but have popped-off over time. I've examined caps with the enamel shell coating sitting beside the cap itself on the shelf.
          Thanks for sharing.
          Mark
          NZ
          I was examining a friends DAK panzer cap one time and had the misfortune of dislodging the enamel off a grommet....it flicked off like a tiddley wink and sent both of us diving to the floor to retrieve. **** happens.

Robt.

Comment

Jeff, it's very nice to see such a nice untouched example. Your detail pictures really show the cap to advantage.

regards, Robert

Comment

Jeff, it's always nice to see an apparently wartime used but not abused tropical cap. We see so many unissued examples around.
              Any info on how the veteran acquired the cap?
              Homer

Comment

Hi Homer - He was a driver in USAAF and from what I understand, didn't arrive in Tunisia until March 1943. Given his specialty, I would assume this cap was procured during prisoner transport.

Originally posted by Homer Hodge View Post
                Jeff, it's always nice to see an apparently wartime used but not abused tropical cap. We see so many unissued examples around.
                Any info on how the veteran acquired the cap?
                Homer
                Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X