No announcement yet.

Insignia removed SS overseas cap for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree 100%..... I like what I see of the cap and think it stands a chance which is why I even bothered to post. In my opinion the pro's outweigh the cons so far. We may never know but-- I liked what I saw. Why would a faker even make a cap like this?....pretty esoteric and they usually like to cover their butts so, why goof up an RB #?

Robt.

Comment

Interesting subject, here are some threads in regard to this matter;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=RB+Number+64

Chris

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post

This is one of the best finds I have seen in a long time. Well done guys, really well done and thank you for sharing this. It is guys like you who bring the hobby alive for sure

Got stuck into these lists today and compared with some of my RB numbers. Very interesting to see how items made in different parts of Germany and Austria seem to have their own little area foot prints. The list does not seem to cover many firms in the Reich beyond Germany and Austria however.

The first number is a puzzle for me because although most I have fit into 0/xxxx/xxxx and 1/xxxx/xxxx plus 9/xxxx/xxxx, I also have 63/xxxx/xxxx and 64/xxxx/xxxx. Now "63" and "64" had me stuck because it is a long way off from 0 to 9. Well on page 138 I found a possible answer, there are five numbers starting with "62" ie 62/xxxx/xxxx. Seems "62" is a company to do with "Sack, Planen & Zelte" so that might explain why such a number starting with "63" & "64" can turn up on military items.

Also on page 136 are a very few numbers begining with "42" "47" & "48" so it starts to show that not every thing fits in between 0 to 9. I believe these numbers are industry type and not necessarily military but "0" & "1" are the most commonly encountered starting numbers being the most common type of activity for firms & companies. There was a lot more secondary industry than tertiary industry in Germany in the period 1939 to 1945 but today tertiary would out number secondary.

In fact pages 128 to 139 have many variations indeed. Not all numbers are in the form x/xxxx/xxxx there are variations such as x/xxxx or xxx/xxxx etc. Another thing is the odd number starts with a letter such as "Os", "B", "Bl", "Bi" or "D". In the odd case these letter codes occur in the middle such as X/BiXX/XXXX.

I can not explain these but I hope you can tell I am finding this very interesting indeed. Important at this stage to realise that we have a key but do not yet have all the facts such as why numbers can start with "62" and not some thing closer to "9" such as "12"

Again great find guys, Chris

Comment

Interesting, thanks Chris.

Personally, I would be happy to own this sidecap. The 64 number just makes it more intriguing.

Comment

Indeed and those additional threads on RBNr's made for a very informative read!

Robt.

Comment

Looks like a phone number for Iowa, try and call it and see what happens I have all the lists and will look for "064" later.

Comment

No matches in my lists but of course not all the numbers and codes are documented. As mentioned they did use numbers that started with two digits without a zero. Good luck on your quest.

Comment

So guys I have a chance to get this very reasonable. I normally don't talk prices, but under $400. Is it worth the risk?

I'll add this picture of the stamp I just saw on it as well.
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

I'd be all over it for that price!

Comment

If you want i can offer you 500$ of course that it worth 400$, and to my mind, there is not risk!

Comment

The stamp on the sb is "Deutsche Qualitat".....seen frequently on these. Worth every penny of the asking price and then you can set about to restore with some neat original SS insig. that will cost you way more than the hat.

Robt.

Comment

Last edited by 90th Light; 02-15-2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Came from show this weekend and held this cap in hand, very good looking cap as stated with material, cut and removed insignia outline really nice, only thing that just really threw me was the RB numbering and stamping. If private purchase it shouldn't be there but told Dave that maybe was added post war to enhance cap. TPK

Comment

Has anyone seen a real SS officer side cap with a leather sweatband? I have not. Ever....

Comment

It's a partial sweatband to the forehead area. Not all had them and I wouldn't say it's necessarily a validating factor....simply a sign of a fine quality cap. I don't think its a private purchase cap.

Robt.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X