No announcement yet.

DAK 1st Model Pith Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with Ray that the LW eagle on a Herr helmet is possible but not the norm. Not sure i would remove the eagle, and you may damage the prongs doing so.

Its hard to tell from the photos, but the helmet may already have the original holes from the original Herr shield ? The eagle prongs are wider than on a Herr sheild in most cases. So when you have it in hand before the eagle is removed you will see which hole type(s) were used. Would not punch another hole no matter what. Make sure to use the existing holes....

Comment

When you get the helmet I would want to see if there is any fading from were a shield was. If there isn't any fading or holes from a shield then the eagle might be original to the helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by klr View Post
        When you get the helmet I would want to see if there is any fading from were a shield was. If there isn't any fading or holes from a shield then the eagle might be original to the helmet.
        Very good point. Suggest to take it a step at a time as well.

-Ray-

Comment

Originally posted by klr View Post
          Spot on ! First peek underneath the existing shield to see if there is any ghost (lack of fading), then do the same, peek under the eagle and compare the ghost (lack of fading, do not remove it for this peek).

From a couple of the photos, maybe can see the imprint of a shield just above the wings. However an imprint can be duplicated much easier post war than the ghost/shadow ie: lack of fading ? Also this helmet appears to have seen little use, so fading/ghost may not be there at all.

Agree if the inner hole matches up well to the eagle that implies its original. But if the two holes are closer together, than that implies a Herr shield was there instead originally.

Comment

Appreciate it gents that you give your opinion on this subject, thanks

I am not a big fan of restoring unless it is an easy job where I am sure I don't damage anything. In this case I know that the person my friend bought the helmet from put the Eagle there. As far as I know it was missing the decal in the first place so to sell it better the Eagle was added.

When I get the helmet I will make close up photo's and post them here. I do not mind leaving the helmet as is but if there was a Heer shield on it I would prefer to carefully restore it.

I suppose I will have a bit more fun researching this helmet then I initially thought. I will share the images when I get the helmet and decide after reading what you gents think what to do.
            Our Mothercross project website:

sigpic

http://dasmutterkreuz.com/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X