Opinions on Panzer overseas cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
    When the hat/cap factories first started making the black black panzer sidecap, some had bins of cap parts waiting to be assembled.

Several bins had cap linings awaiting further assembly with a cap body. These liners were maker stamped/ dated/ sized when they were cut out, sewn and placed in the bin.

The field grey or new black wool bodies were then made up and had a soutache applied.

In early to perhaps Easter 1940 the cap bodies with a soutache went through final assembly and were joined together with a liner made in late 1939.

Thus one can get a 1940 black panzer sidecap with a liner made and dated in 1939 but accepted & stamped by the depot in 1940.

We know this for a fact with tropical sidecaps because there are examples of liners with stitching through the maker/ date stamp showing clearly that the liner was made and stamped before it was put into the body of the cap. This has also been observed on field grey side caps such as those made by Karl Kubach,

Chris

p.s. having said the above, all the caps on the thread still have question marks if not red flags for me. May be clearer images could explain these points but at this stage I feel caution
    Hi Chris

Thanks for expanding on my point. Yes we have seen sidecaps dated an earlier year than the year being excepted at the depot, though unusual it did happen. However i was not aware that any fake caps had this phenomenon and seems odd that they would....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X