Pz Visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
    The true "litmus test" would be to put a General's hat such as Shea's on auction, with no reserve and a starting price of $9.99. I guarantee that the end price would be nowhere near 27K, but at least 10K less than that, if not 15K less.

Unfortunately, the demand that existed during the early internet days (up to the time Ebay banned Nazi symbols) is not there anymore. Too many have been burned by high-end fakes in all categories.
    Over the years, I have bought a number of British caps from an Ebay seller named "Hogspear". They start every single item at .99 pence, and then let the market take it's course, regardless if it's an item that may be worth, say $ 5,000.
    This sellers feedback is at 24,152 ( !! ) itema as of today, at a 99.9% rating.
    I have picked up some relative bargains, but, invariably, the pricey items reach their anticipated " market price", with very rare exceptions.
    I'm certain that if they ever had a W-SS general's cap, or Luftwaffe general's cap, they would start the auction at .99 pence. I have seen ccavalry helmets & lancer czapka's worth up to $10,000 or so, start at .99.
    I'd love to see TR items start like that, but we all know that ain't happenin!

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by COLLECT36 View Post
      Bob,Check out Oakleaf Militaria and Militarycollectibles.inc.com and look for Brian Maedarer if you want to see 2023 and above prices!This is why the hobby has problems as they have money enough to sit for years on there stock.God forbid they drop their prices to a fair profit. I tell them and the other so called Big Dealers that this is their main goal,put the screws to the collectors for every dime they can!!!!!!!God forbid they make a fair profit and my statement to all collectors don't buy any damn item that is 50-100% over the norm and let them sit with their overpriced stock,period!!!CDR
      not sure who buys it... but it sure isn't me.

apparently people with more money than sense.

I work a menial design job in Iowa... so make your own inference as to how much money I make, but let's just say it's not a lot. How in the world can I justify 2 month's paychecks to buy a visor or some other item? I have a wife, home, 5 cars, a dog, and two cats. None of these other things are free.

Those who are charging outrageous prices are either out of touch with what a "normal" person can spend on an item, or simply hoping for a "rich sucker" to buy their item. Neither one helps the collecting community.

Sometimes I wish I was an older fellow, and had been collecting during the so-called "good old days" when items could be had for reasonable (or at least more reasonable) prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
        Believe me, I have checked out the dealers you mention quite a while ago, and occasionally re-visit their sites to have a good laugh ( or cry!).
        Hey, I'm all for a guy making a profit, even a hefty one if possible, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay , say, $1200 for a cap I can buy elsewhere for $500!
        When I attend the SOS or MAX Show, I make it a point to concentrate on the small dealers, or collectors with a table or two; that's where the good prices are. It's worked pretty well for me so far.

Bob Shoaf
        Smart move and you can deal much better with a dealer who makes a profit and I don't begrudge him making money on the deal ,but these bigger dealers are as you say looking for a big fish.They can cast all the bait they want but you won't catch a damn thing from us!!Not only were the prices normal back in the 60s-70s,but the dealers were good guys and loved to talk about the items they were selling.Now spend and get lost is their motto for the most part!Carl

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X