No announcement yet.

unmessed cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not as much survived "untouched" as we WANT to believe!

Originally posted by BenVK View Post

But the current situation means that it's not easy to declare full disclosure because it seems that items that have been restored or put back together have a stigma around them.
    Yes, that's true . . . it seems to be difficult for many of us to grasp how uncommon it is to find ANYTHING that survived all these years without some form of post-war modification or alteration - especially with insignia.

I really do appreciate the fellows that come forward and indicate all the mods and alterations they are aware of when selling an item - especially when it comes to something as easy to mention as replaced [cap] insignia!

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
      I'm fed of reading about it too but the fact is that we are all to blame and in a lot of cases, we are also mis-representating items as well.

I've lost count of how many caps that I've personally restored that have appeared for sale without any word of the fact that I'd re-sewn the peak or sweatband back on. Is that not important to mention?

I say we are to blame because until we wake up and stop demanding and paying premium prices for so called "untouched" items then the practise of claiming that they and the disappointment of finding out they are not, will never end.

But the current situation means that it's not easy to declare full disclosure because it seems that items that have been restored or put back together have a stigma around them. I've got an SS sidecap on the estand right now that no one wants despite the ridiculously low price and I know that it's because I've addmited that the insignia has been restored recently and by myself. If I had kept my mouth shut, I'm sure it would have sold pretty quickly.

So, am I tempted to not say anything next time? you bet I am but if I do, the vicious circle keeps repeating itself over and over again.

In all fairness though, I don't think we ever did or do have a massive problem with this in regards to hats. The real problem is with tunics and I'm completely bored to death with collectors crying that their "untouched" SS tunic e.g. is in fact a restored piece but with original insignia. Really? what a surprise!! Do collectors really think that there is an unlimited supply of tunics complete with insignia and in some cases awards still attached? The big thread about Winkler caught a lot of attention but not many people so far seem to have woken up to the facts about what goes on and has been going on for years.
      1o1% absolutely right! The more collectors sh!t on restored tunics the more you see "untouched" ones like Martin's good job

Comment

The problem is the lack of admission from dealers that an item has been restored - I have no issue with buying restored items so long as I know thats what im gettiing -and its priced accordingly as a restoration.

Comment

Happens all the time...even with uniforms...For those who might no have seen the thread (link below)!
          At least thanks to the internet it's a little easier to spot sometimes!

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=615423

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Stiles View Post
            , however your work decieved me!

Hannahs Reich
            It sure did.....

Comment

"........shocking ,as im from army family,and we dont do thinks like that
              ,to be honest,i have talked today with my father abaut,he as ex army ofifcer just cant belive that."

What an ironic statement from Besslein, in retrospect...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X