another M43 panzer cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
    Here is an SS rune tab embroidered on this type of cloth which is known as "Nesselstoff",

Chris
    You will notice that the portions of the material at the reverse side of the SS tab appear in their original state. I have maintained all along that this mysterious fabric is not some variant cloth but rather the result of insect grazing, often accompanied by holes (note Stug tab). I suggest that instead of "Nesselstoff" we formally adopt the term "Mottenstoff" (moth material).

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
      You will notice that the portions of the material at the reverse side of the SS tab appear in their original state. I have maintained all along that this mysterious fabric is not some variant cloth but rather the result of insect grazing, often accompanied by holes (note Stug tab). I suggest that instead of "Nesselstoff" we formally adopt the term "Mottenstoff" (moth material).

I agree.I see only a lot of nap wear.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
        Hello OSS,

can I ask if you actually have something in your collection made from this material or have you handled it ?

I would not be so interested, if I had not got the black panzer signal sidecap, GD soldbuch and GD dogtag directly from the New Zealand anti-tank veterans who brought them back after engagement with 26 Pz. A.A. in Italy http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=Soldbuch.

However, the cap made from this type of wool turned up and it has got my interest to try and find out more about this type of lower grade cloth.

It is different when compared to regular German "panzer" wool. Thus being lighter, thinner, a loose and courser weave. When new, if there is any pile to the cloth then it is a smooth, fine pile that wears off quickly leaving the exposed base weave as an even horizontal crossed by vertical texture all over.

This exposed base weave is not the result of insects or moths. Instead it is more to do with the light implantation and fine fibre of the surface pile in the first place when the cloth was made.

When discussing " Nesselstoff " in terms of cloth rather than chemicals then it is all to do with the criss-cross of how the cloth is woven to create a lighter "bandage gauze" type pattern as the images from German industry below show,

Chris
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 90th Light; 01-04-2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Here is another SS collar tab made from it.

Funny how the insects or moths always eat off the pile so evenly. Yet they never once bite into the base weave of the cloth.

It is like they lick the icing off but never eat the cake.

The reason, "Nesselstoff" is a grade of ersatz cloth in its own right where the pile wears off quickly or there was very little pile in the first place,

Chris
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 90th Light; 01-04-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I have often wondered if the "Dachau" black panzer M43 with pirate trap are also made from "Nesselstoff" ???

Certainly looks to be "Nesselstoff" unless someone can tell me why it is not

Howard C has this wonderful example for sale on the estand. From his images, one can clearly see the criss-cross weave with very little pile. This is how this lower grade cloth has been made and is not the result of insect munching or moth damage,

Chris
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 90th Light; 01-06-2014, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X