• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam S. View Post
    Link please.
    Here you go Andy
    http://www.overlord1944.com/Producto...eer%20headgear

Comment

Originally posted by Kreager View Post
      Guess what folks, the original M43 cap that started this thread is still for sale. Interesting after all these years and at 1350 euro it's not flying off the shelf.
      The reality is that there are many things which are not "flying off the shelf" these days. Sadly each day less and less people collect this stuff or are willing/ able to buy it for a range of reasons.

I am not defending the cap which started this thread but I would not use how long something takes to sell as an indicator any longer.

Since the economic melt down of 2008, sale speeds have continued to slow and the generations which have collected items are passing on. The younger generations are not interested in collecting in the numbers that their parents or grand-parents did. There is also very little interest in the rapidly emerging economies with increasing speeding power especially for cloth items. Plus I have not touched on those collectors who are paranoid about fakes for right or wrong reasons.

Perceived marginal examples like the cap which started this thread are the thin end of the wedge that is occurring. Ask anyone who deals in porcelain or antique furniture if you do not believe me,

Chris

p.s. in response to the query, no I do not think collectors will disappear completely. There will always be collectors of military items, just how many and where is the question. At the moment there is a market correction of prices going as supply and demand are on the move which is basic economics when prices have gone above the equalibrium.
      Last edited by 90th Light; 04-21-2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ccfc View Post
        What a really interesting thread and although I have nothing to add due to this being outside my area of so-called expertise, i'm looking forward to see how this one pans out.

I do like to see someone challenge an item if they feel it's incorrect and I also like to see someone defend what they feel is correct but what really "grinds my gears" is some of the larger collectors just shouting "fake" because an item isn't textbook.

I work in an industry where an product that we have manufactured for several years has had many tweaks, new bits, improved bits and bits made cheaper since it's first incarnation and I don't doubt that the cloth and metals for uniforms and badges didn't either from the same manufacturers over that nine or ten year period.

As a novice to cloth items I don't profess to know enough to give an educated opinion but I think that there is enough examples posted of this type of cloth to warrant giving it a second thought.

Lee
        I agree with Lee 100%. Very well said Lee.

Comment

Another example of a period wrap made from this type of material before May 1945,

Chris
          Attached Files

Comment

Collar tabs,

Chris
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 90th Light; 05-09-2013, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Money shot of some of the details to note,

Chris
              Attached Files

Comment

Shoulder Boards,

Chris
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                  Another interesting panzer M43 made of this type of cloth/ wool mix http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=633707

Chris
                  Link doesn't work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                    Link doesn't work for me.
                    Hello Ben,

that Panzer M43 that the link is too, was from "ITALIANWARFRONT" on the estand for sale at one stage. It is gone or sold now,

Chris

Comment

Here is another one made from this type of wool.

Gene posted this HG officers cap in the LW section under show your LW hat,

Chris
                      Attached Files

Comment

Another image of "galizien41's" wrap already shown in post numbers 51 & 52 of this thread made from this type of cloth,

Chris

Originally posted by galizien41 View Post
                        Here is mine. Worn used and abused. Definitely a salty dog. The skulls a are just so cool on it. They are really have a lot of depth and detail. Never seen any other skulls like them. Literally inbedded in the tabs now.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The collar tabs on "galizien41" wrap showing the distinctive weave of this cloth with the scarce cavalry regiment tradition type of skull,

Chris
                          Attached Files

Comment

More threads with extra detail before they gets lost;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=Soldbuch

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...nal+panzer+cap

Chris

Comment

Just stumbled on this thread and took a look on the dealer thats this thread started about.

have you guys seen the tunics on overlord1944 site?

Comment

Here is an SS rune tab embroidered on this type of cloth which is known as "Nesselstoff",

Chris
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X