More Pics 4.
          Attached Files

Comment

More Pics 5.
            Attached Files

Comment

Materials and cap look bad,artificialy aged as well
              Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
              teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

The germans definitely used a material that wore down to a weave like that.

Here is my Panzer M40 sidecap which was brought back from Italy by a New Zealand soldier after an engagement with 26 Pz.A.A.

The wool still has a lot of pile left in the unworn areas but has worn down to this type of weave where it is exposed.

Such wool is not common but it was used,

Chris
                Attached Files

Comment

2 The germans definitely used a material that wore down to a weave like that.

Here is my Panzer M40 sidecap which was brought back from Italy by a New Zealand soldier after an engagement with 26 Pz.A.A.

The wool still has a lot of pile left in the unworn areas but has worn down to this type of weave where it is exposed.

Such wool is not common but it was used,

Chris
                  Attached Files

Comment

When I posted this cap a long with the dog tag and Soldbuch, member "Lucky Strike" posted some images of his original Pz. wrap which is also made of this type of wool,

Chris
                    Attached Files

Comment

2 When I posted this cap a long with the dog tag and Soldbuch, member "Lucky Strike" posted some images of his original Pz. wrap which is also made of this type of wool ( close up of the weave ),

Chris
                      Attached Files

Comment

I would not add the side cap or the wrapper to my collection based on the pictures posted by Chris
                        Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                        teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny W View Post
                          I would not add the side cap or the wrapper to my collection based on the pictures posted by Chris

Uffffff My God
                          Ok you are right!! All is fake!!
                          Discussion closed.

Comment

Hello Lenny,

unusual I agree, even puzzling. The fact is however, the panzer M40 sidecap was brought back by a New Zealand anti-tank gunner in 1945. Two other advanced/ long time NZ collectors also got to meet the veteran from whom this cap came. Thus the find & veteran bring back is known in the collecting circle here.

Other items were also picked up from this action against 26 Pz.A.A. I have put up some images of some of these on other threads. Just in case you missed them, here is the Soldbuch again.

I can not speak for member "LuckyStrike23" who owns the panzer wrap but he seems to know his stuff and has some impressive panzer items in his collection. He certainly knew this type of cloth with its strange weave from which his wrap was made. Perhaps when he sees this thread, he might post and tell us more about the wrap or how many times he has enountered this type of cloth used in the manfacture of items before May 45,

Chris

p.s. I am not commenting about the Pz. M43 which started this thread. The M43 can stand or fall on its merits. My postings are to do with this type of strange weave cloth being used to make panzer items before May 1945.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 90th Light; 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I am certainely sure you would if you would have it in hands.

I will post this evening another wrap of this type that is also for sure original.
                              Last edited by LuckyStrike23; 08-01-2012, 01:54 AM. Reason: .

Comment

I would be interested to know how these caps get so much wear underneath the turnup, which is generally not exposed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X